Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 02:51 PM
    Fan & Light switch - 2 black wires
    We had a ceiling fan w/ light installed where there was previously only a light (but wired for a fan as well).

Now it's time to replace the regular light switch with one that will control both the fan & light.

Currently the regular switch has 2 black wires going to it and the fan is operating (but light is not - not wired to switch). The red is capped off and the copper is grounded.

When replacing with new switch, how do we go from the 2 black wires attached, plus ground, plus red wire capped off to the new unit?

New switch specifies the following:

Current to New
    Fan wire to Yellow
    Ground to Green (this part I get!)
    Light wire to Red
    Live wire to Black

So, how do I figure out which of my 2 black wires goes to the new black and which goes to red or yellow? Then where does the current red wire go?

Currently have:
    Black to switch
    Black to switch
    Red capped off
    Copper grounded

Where do I connect:

Light wire=_____________

Fan wire=______________

1 black wire (specify)=________________

2nd black wire (specify)=_______________

Copper to ground - got that

I do have a circuit tester that has ACV/DCA/DCV/OHM if there's anything I need to do with that to figure out the black wires (but please be very specific).

Thank you for your assistance. After 4 trips to the hardware store with no real help, I'm ready to pull my hair out. :mad:
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 04:38 PM
    First, go to the ceiling box and tell us what wires are there.

What you will probably find is a 2-wire cable with black and white and a 3-wire cable with black, red and white. The black of the 2-wire cable will be connected to the light fixture wire and to the white of the 3-wire cable. The white of the 2-wire cable will be connected to the white of the fan/light. The black of the 3-wire cable will be connected to the fan fixture wire. The red should be caped with a wire nut.

Please confirm this.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 12, 2008, 06:02 PM
    adf,

At switch

Fan-yellow-connects to black going to ceiling box, at ceiling box it connects to the fan lead.

Light -red- connects to the capped off red, connects to the light lead in ceiling box.

Live-black-connects to the hot black wire in the switch box.

White to white leave as is. White in ceiling box connects to white or common
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 08:04 PM
    The switch connects to the two black wires going to the old switch, and to the capped off red.

Capped off red goes to switches red wires. The switches yellow goes to the black wire from the old switch that goes to the same place as the capped off red. The black wire off the switch goes to the other black.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing light fixture- wires ( red, black and white?) [ 24 Answers ]

Just changed light fixture. When I put the power back on the light worked but the switch on the wall will not shut the light off. In the ceiling there was 3 wires. One black,one white and one red. The fixture that I put up has only black, white and ground. So I attached the black to black,...

New light switch cover, now wires too short [ 1 Answers ]

I'm renovating an old property and am updating the covers on the light switches. When removing the cover of an old switch (having turned off the mains etc) a 4 mm piece of wire broke off the red wire. There's no slack in the wire at all and now neither the old switch cover nor the new one will...

Black wires [ 1 Answers ]

When you have a black and a white wire and you want to connect it a cord that has a smooth black wire and a ribbed black wire, which one connects to the white wire?

Thermostat Wires - Only 2 Wires (both black) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm switching my thermostat for a newer digital one, though when I took out the old thermostat, there were only 2 black wires with white stripes on them. The new thermostat calls for an RH wire and a W wire, but I have no way of distinguishing the two apart. How can I tell which wire...

Installing 3 way motion dector light switch with 4 wires [ 4 Answers ]

How do I install the light swith motion when I have 4 wire wires on house wiring has black,red,white,ground wires on a 3 way light switch and my new motion dector light switch back looks like this on top wire on left side is red and yellow, right side green ground, bottom left side black, right...

View more questions Search