Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Aug 12, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Car questions
    Okay I have some questions about cars.

Is it better to buy a used newer car with more miles or a used older car with less miles?

Also if I buy a car from a individual, not a car company, do I still pay a tax on the car?

In addition to that, once I buy the car, how I get a license plate for it, if I can't drive it to the secretary of state? And a license plate does not come with the car obviously

Thanks!
    20anonymous08 Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Aug 12, 2008, 01:44 PM
    The less the miles the better... you should pick a vehicle that is well maintained. It is a good rule of thumb to count 15000 miles average per year. If it has a little difference no big deal but for example I checked out a car at a lot - it was a 2006 and it had 89000 miles on it. Which equals out to almost 30000 miles a year... that has a lot of wear on it. Also make sure to look at the engine... the cleaner the better... looking under the hood and in the trunk can give you a good idea on how good the previous owner took care of it.

You buy the vehicle from an individual for a set price. That price is listed on the bill of sale. So to get a license plate you need to take the title and the bill of sale to the Department of Motor vehicles to register it. At which point the DMV usually charges a percentage of the sale price for registration and tax.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 01:51 PM
    In my state you go to the notary with the seller to transfer the title and they give me a plate or I have an old plate from a previous vehicle transferred to the new one
    The owner almost always takes me since they have to sign the title transfer too anyway.
    You have to pay taxes at the notary according to the amount you pay for the car.

Is it better to buy a used newer car with more miles or a used older car with less miles?
    That depends on things like did the owner keep up good maintenance--oil changes, tune-ups, repairs, etc...
    You can ask them if they have the paper work of repairs and maintenance
    You can and should request that a mechanic of your choice check it out BEFORE you buy it
    Also check the value here New Car Prices, Used Car Prices, Blue Book Value, Car Reviews - Official Kelley Blue Book Site so they don't overprice it

AND
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 05:50 PM
    I've done well buying used cars from the original owners. Not an easy trick to do, but the owners I bought from had every receipt and took good care of the car. Hard to find original owners, but they are out there.

Yes, you must pay the sales tax on the car regardless who you buy it from. You will be required to do this when you title the car. Then you can get the registration (or tag) after that. Usually you will need someone to take you to the DMV as you cannot drive the car unless it is registered. The previous owner keeps their license tag (in most if not all states).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

Too many questions! [ 12 Answers ]

YouTube - Woman Sat on Toilet for 2 Years How or why would he be okay with this for two years without seeking help? Why didn't the relatives worry that something wasn't right and request/demand answers? He has been taking care of her? How bringing food from the kitchen to the toilet? How...

Two Questions here. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My name is Kelly, and for those who have already read my earlier post-- thank you for your help. However I have a couple of additional questions... 1. I've noticed an increase in acne... is that also a pregnancy symptom?:confused: 2. My dad is a great dad but... if I am pregnant,...

Several questions [ 1 Answers ]

What does cost of goods sold as a percentage of accounting mean? What does a company's dividends mean? How do we decide which company to loan money to based on their ratio? Based on a company's ratio how do we decide whether we should invest on them or not? How do we determine which...

View more questions Search