Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leudres Periera Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Portuguese Passport
    Both of my parents are portuguese but I was born in canada. I believe I can apply for my portuguese passport but have hd difficluty communitcating with those present at the consulate because my parents we married in canada and did not register their marriage in portugal. Please let me know what I can do to make this happen?
    Diane Carol Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Aug 12, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Your parents live in Canada... married in Canada, so why should they feel they have to register a Canadian marriage in their former homeland.
    I take it they still have a birth certificate showing their birth in Portugal or know of where to obtain one. That should prove their birth... now you have to prove you are their son by getting a birth certificate here in Canada.

Why the need to get a Portuguese passport... your Canadian passport enables you to travel to Portugal at your discretion. There is no barrier to your travelling to your parents homeland on your Canadian Passport.

Passports are good for a period of 5 years, before the date though, you must re-apply.

Now I could apply for a British passport since both parents were born in Scotland and Ireland. But, I have no need for one... I can go anywhre I want on my Canadian passport.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 04:51 PM
    The point is... Your parents failed to report birth of Portuguese citizen overseas to Portuguese embassy when you're born. So there is no record of citizenship. You need your parents' help in getting things in place. Don't attempt to contact the consulate without documents, they are aware that many of contacts are scams.
    badPortugal Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Sep 19, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leudres Periera
    Both of my parents are portuguese but I was born in canada. I belive I can apply for my portuguese passport but have hd difficluty communitcating with those present at the consulate because my parents we married in canada and did not register their marriage in portugal. Please let me know what I can do to make this happen?
    Click on this website :Consulado Geral de Portugal em Sydney / Welcome to the Consulate General of Portugal in Sidney

Pass onto all.
    Larissa Bona Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leudres Periera View Post
    Both of my parents are portuguese but I was born in canada. I belive I can apply for my portuguese passport but have hd difficluty communitcating with those present at the consulate because my parents we married in canada and did not register their marriage in portugal. Please let me know what I can do to make this happen?
    The first thing you must do is to have the marriage of your parents registered in Portugal.
    After this is that you are going to be completely eligible to apply for the Portuguese citizenship.
    You have two options: you register the marriage of your parents at the nearest Portuguese consulate or you register their marriage directly at the Portuguese Civil Register Office in Portugal (this option is faster).
    This is a very straightforward procedure and all you need to present is their birth certificates and their marriage certificate.

I hope I have helped!

>Personal contact information REMOVED<
    marco abreu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 01:09 PM

I'm portuguese from madeira living and working in uk for last 6 years liverpool area my last passport was lost don't know when and where but I do know my BI serial number even I haven't got it anymore I got appointment at MAN counsulate soon but they ask for some paper work I haven't got because my lost passport was issued in jersey channel island counsulate is that more easier to trace what they need to know about me

Nov 7, 2008, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by marco abreu View Post
    im portuguese from madeira living and working in uk for last 6 years liverpool area my last passport was lost don't know when and where but i do know my BI serial number even i haven't got it anymore i got appointment at MAN counsulate soon but they ask for some paper work i havent got because my lost passport was issued in jersey channel island counsulate is that more easier to trace what they need to know about me
    Let me see if I got you problem: you have lost your passport and your BI?
    alvera69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 11:22 AM
    I was wondering how I get a portugease passport in canada I was born in portugal then was adopted in to the u.s.a then was brought over to canada when I was 10 and still not a canadian citizen but I want to travel and was wondering how I can get my portugease passport in the portugease embassy in toronto .ontario and what I would need to bring to show proof of who I am, I have my permint resedent card,sin card,drivers license ,and health card for canada is there anything else I would need if so please help thanks for reading...
    alvera69 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 11:26 AM
    Comment on alvera69's post
    Sorry this is a question I am asking it not a reply to someone else's question I pushed wrong thing I meant to ask a question not answer one..!

Feb 15, 2011, 01:55 PM
    Do you have a Portuguese Birth Certificate?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Portuguese I.D card vs Portuguese passport [ 1 Answers ]

If I have my Portuguese I.D card on me and I want to travel to Italy do I still need to bring my Portuguese passport with me Many thanks

Portuguese Passport [ 1 Answers ]

My mother have given all the needed documents in the Portuguese Consulate in goa... and she was born before 18th December 1961... with the proof of identity... but the sad part is that there is no reply to it... it has been 2yrs to it... can someone help me in the process of how to go about and...

Portuguese Passport [ 2 Answers ]

I am studying in the Uk, and I am seeking information on how to apply for a Portugueses passport.Although I wasn't born in India, I am of goan origin, holding an Indian passport. My father was born in Mumba,I but his father was born in Goa before 1961. My mother was born abroad but her mother was...

View more questions Search