Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fery321 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Is my boyfriend being cheap?
    I've been with my boyfriend for 7 years and we've lived together for 2. We're both 26 years old and have good jobs although he makes more than me. We split the rent, bills and groceries 50/50 but when it comes to other things like going out to dinner, drinks or coffee and stuff I expect him to pay and he does most of the time (I pay sometimes) but he complains too much about it. He thinks we should take turns paying like his friend and his girlfriend do. Is he being cheap or do I expect too much from him? Sometimes when I go out with my friends I buy him things here and there... for no real occasion… Just because I enjoy doing it... but he never does that for me. He's never bought me anything just because... Is he cheap? My mom's always told me not to get married to a cheap man because he'll make my life miserable! What do you think? Please help!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 12:56 PM
    I don't see anything wrong with the female paying sometimes. For example, sometimes when me and my boyfriend goes to the movies he will purchase the tickets while I buy the popcorn, and usually we equally wind up spending the same amount of money because NY is expensive. This is not something that happens on the regular but it happens sometimes and I don't mind it. On the flipside if it's bothers you then maybe you should rethink being with him.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Maybe cheap. Pretty much stingy.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 01:04 PM
    I agree with your mother. Talk to hiim about it. If nothing changes, it will certainly get worse.
    lmangileri Posts: 211, Reputation: 11

Aug 12, 2008, 01:13 PM
    Not only is he being stingy, it sounds like he really feels the need to keep track of who pays for what. Sounds like he's obsessed with money.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lmangileri
    Not only is he being stingy, it sounds like he really feels the need to keep track of who pays for what. Sounds like he's obsessed with money.
    Yeah I know that kind and they get crazy if you owe them a single dime they won't let it go until you pay them up.
    Smoked Posts: 157, Reputation: 29

Aug 12, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Break it down a little further... You say you guys pay 50/50 for everything. You set the stage for the relationship. If you define your relationship 50/50 and then he feels like he is putting in more then he is getting in return this could be an issue. Obviously right?

This might not just be a money issue. He might feel like he is putting more into the relationship then he is getting back out. You might think about just talking to him about it. More likely then not, its not a matter of cheap, more then some other issue manifested in this "cheap" attitude..

Aug 12, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Thank you for all your reponses.
    I have talked to him about it and he says since we both make money we should take turns to pay for things. He says "we're not in highschool anymore so you don't need to be taken care of"... I have been on my own since I was 18 years old and took care of myself and never asked him to pay my bills or buy me stuff!! So I don't know what he's talking about!! It's not that he won't pay for things. He does... but he makes me feel bad about it. I just think that if you're with a man for a long time he shouldn't think he's giving you a free ride by paying for your dinner every now and then!!
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 02:46 PM
    I agree with your mom you should find somebody that enjoys wining and dining you instead of acting like someone that has to hold every dime over your head.
    Even most friends do not keep tab on who paid more, who gave more. True friends recognize give and take and aren't obsessed with keeping track
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Also I know guys that will hold something over your head like my one friend
    Supported her baby's dad when he was homeless and then when they broke up and he left he never even paid child support then one day he came by and painted her living room and held it over her head for over a year.
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Aug 14, 2008, 06:57 AM
    I think he is cheap. Just my opinion, and he is probably an idiot too.

Aug 14, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Just to be clear, he does buy me birthday and christmas presents and maybe flowers 2-3 times a year!
    flash84x Posts: 55, Reputation: 7

Aug 15, 2008, 01:15 AM
    I guess the question is, how often do you guys go out places? It gets expensive paying for 2 people to go out to eat 3-4 times a week... if its 1-2 times a week then I usually have no problem paying but any more than that and it gets hard to stomach seeing so much money go towards dining expenses

My last relationship was pretty much 35/65 me being the 65

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend is cheap [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 3 years and I have a pretty good relationship except for two MAJOR problems . The first is that he has become very unreliable as of late. He used to be really good about calling when he said he would and answering his phone when he knew I was going to call him. Lately, however, he...

Is my boyfriend cheap, or am I just crazy? [ 26 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for over a year now, and the issue of money in our relationship has not really improved. Ever since the first date, we have split everything 50/50 (we met for a few drinks on our first date, and yes, I bought him as many as he bought me). Although we don't...

How should I deal with my cheap boyfriend? [ 27 Answers ]

Christmas has just passed and I am really hurt and disappointed in my boyfriend. We've been dating for 2 years. He lost 30 lbs and said he wanted new clothes for Christmas. I gave him sweaters, casual shirts, t-shirts, shoes and socks. One of the pairs of shoes were given to him by my sons. My...

Where can I get a cheap and new Wii? [ 10 Answers ]

I want to get a Wii but most stores I know are out of stock or comes in HIGH price... so does any body knows any sites that I can buy Wii for cheap probably comes with 1Wii , 1 or 2 Controllers, 1 or 5 Games and plugs. Thanks

Is my boyfriend cheap? [ 155 Answers ]

I moved in with my boyfriend about 7 months ago. He owns the house we live in and I agreed to help out with the bills when I moved in. He originally wanted me to pay for half of every bill but I just cannot afford this. I make 30,000 a year and he makes 95,000! I am currently paying over 1/3 of...

View more questions Search