Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonya7412 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Can and hpw can I file slander charges
    My fiancé exhas taken his children from there home with us using the story that he and I killed my late husband who was not living with me but broke into my house and shot himself 2 yrs ago. It was investigated and proven that he did commit suicide. She is telling all of our family members that we killed him and using it as her excuse for taking the kids we currently have emergancy proceedings to return them to home.
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Aug 12, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Well firstly, you don't bring "charges" for slander. Slander is not a crime, it is a tort (civil action). If the claims are being made as part of a legal proceeding, they are protected as an exceeption to defamation. (ie: you can say anything you want in court without fear of a defamation suit). The big issues with a defamation suit is showing that you have been damaged and the extent to which you have been damaged.

Have you addressed this with the attorney representing you in the family court proceeding?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file for defamation of Character or Slander [ 5 Answers ]

On Saturday, June 28th, my organization hosted a women's expo. The turnout of attendees were not as expected. As a result, I have 3 vendors who participated in the expo asking for their money back. All guildelines for vendors clearly state that all vendor booth sales are final. Since they are...

When to file abandonment charges on a mother [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew,s mother has been in an abusive relationship on and off for about 9 years.about 3 months ago she left with my nephew and her other son,she went to her brother,s house last week sometime she went back to her boyfriend and left ny nephew at her brother's house.this is my brother's son,my...

Slander charges [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was seeing this other girl and I found out about it and I left her a few messages on the internet and then posted a message on myspace about her and the things that she has done with mine and other ppls husbands. She said that she was going to file slander charges on me andi live in a...

Can I file a slander, libel defamation of character suit [ 21 Answers ]

My boyfriends ex has repeatedly slandered me. I have not seen my boyfriends son in almost a year. He is not allowed to be near me because I said to him one day to go get his back pack and he said his mother said it was an overnight bag. I said yes it can be but did you ever use it as a back pack...

View more questions Search