Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    04091985 Posts: 86, Reputation: 2

Aug 12, 2008, 09:56 AM
    What is dmz
    HI,

What is DMZ zone how do we configure it I mean do we require any tool to install and work on it?:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2008, 09:58 AM
    DMZ stands for demilitarized zone. On a router it refers to Devices that are not protected by NAT translation or firewall so they can be seen from the WEB.

Generally you leave it alone. Its useful if you are running a WEB or
    Game server
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 10:48 AM
    It's my understanding that you can have DMZ and NAT together. You can use dynamic DNS to point to your server.

I'll define DMZ as a machine with unprotected incoming ports. Web server, ssh server, ftp server are things that could run on a DMZ computer.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 13, 2008, 07:21 AM
    Ok. Three answers now and all three would be correct. That is the way that "slang" works. On the battlefield, it is the "cease fire zone" between two opposing forces.

We rent an address space out on the Internet at each of our locations. We are allowed to use that space (for example 16 addresses) as we see fit and this is what we refer to as the DMZ. They could be protected by some means of firewall for access to internal users or they could be a web server that sits out there all by itself. There is a router between the DMZ and the rest of the Internet that is owned by the ISP that we rent the space from. It could contain some level of filtering but ours does not. So, for example, our proxy server routes and filters access to the Internet to this address space and the router on the other side of the DMZ forwards that traffic to the rest of the Internet. The point is that we get to use this "cease fire zone" and we refer to it as the DMZ. It sounds cool... DMZ.

And it fits the standard 3-letter accronym... Em... em... em... excuse me... have you seen my stapler?
    04091985 Posts: 86, Reputation: 2

Aug 13, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Thank u guys
    bobp1 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2008, 04:32 PM
    THe three responses you received are all partially right. A DMX in networking terminology is storage between two firewalls. This means that you can have access to a server or other technology that has access to your internal network, but restrices your external users any access to your internal network data except specific data elements and what editing you have allowed the server in the DMZ to have access to.

Configureing a DMZ depends on the type of firewalling you are using. If you are using two separate firewalls lin a line (i.e. Internet <> Firewall <> DMZ <> Firewall <> Internal network) you configure the outer firewall (The one facing the internet) to have web ore secure web access to the DMZ server, Then you configure the Inner firewall to have a very limited access to the DMZ server usually for a unique port associated with a specific application. These limitations are usually configured using ACLs (Access Control Lists). The configureation of these lists is generally hardware specific and requires at leat a basic understanding of how they work. If you are using a firewall with a built in DMZ interface than you connect your DMZ server(s) to a switch that is attached to the DMZ interface if the Firewall and configure as above. In this configuration there are frequently interface priorities which offers an additional level of protection for your internal network

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search