Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    painted4love Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Circuit Breaker/Wiring/Receptacle Ratings
    If you run from a 20 amp breaker with 12/2 wire each receptacle rating has to be 20 amps?

20amp breaker-------->with 12/2 wire------->to 5 outlets

In other words if you go to the store to buy the receptacles they can't say on them 15A max because the breaker it is run from is a 20 amp right?

If that is true then you could just run them off a smaller breaker being a 15amp? And still use the 12/2 wire? And the 15A max receptacles?

Thanks,
    Painted

Can you also tell me why someone would choose a 20amp breaker over a 15 amp?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 08:56 AM
    True.
    True.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Aug 12, 2008, 12:38 PM
    You can put 15A receptacles on a 20A circuit, as long as there is more than just a single receptacle per 210.21(B)(3) and Table 210.21(B)(3) of the NEC
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 12, 2008, 04:54 PM
    I agree with Tev.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

Main disconnect breaker kAIC ratings? [ 4 Answers ]

Can I use a 10 kAIC main breaker in a main disconnect or does it have to be a 35 kAIC main breaker? I have a 10 kAIC, 225 amp breaker on hand, and I did not want to have to buy a new 225 amp 35 kAIC breaker if I did not have to. My indoor load center has a 10kAIC, but the outdoor, main disconnect,...

Circuit Breaker Difference and Wiring Requirement [ 1 Answers ]

Is a 20 amp 2 pole Tandem, the same as a 20 amp 2 pole ? I do not know which breaker to use - i.e. one about 1 inch wide or The one that is about twice that size. Also, what gauge wire and Breaker size do I need for the following: I bought an Wall Oven and Drop In Cooktop The data plate...

Blown receptacle circuit breakers [ 1 Answers ]

We keep blowing the circuit breakers for our receptacles. Do I need to upgrade my circuit breakers to correct the problem or is there another solution?

GFCI Breaker vs Receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

I'm adding some 20A circuits in my garage/shop and know that they have to be GFCI protected. My question is this: Is there an advantage to using a GFCI breaker over just putting a GFCI receptacle in the first slot of the series? Thanks.

View more questions Search