Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danveluz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 03:34 AM
    Am I a joke?
    Guys, I have a problem with my work right now. I feel that I am the biggest joke in my company.

One of my jobs is to coordinate a certain program with another company. I started this program from scratch. Now that it is already in place, and is being implemented, the company suddenly hired consultants to assess the program only to my disgust, the consultants would take over the program and turn it into a foundation.

To add insult to the injury, the company paid the consultants 6 times more than my salary.

I really am depressed because I love the program I started and it seems that it would be taken away from me.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:48 AM
    What are the specifics as to what is this concerning, please? It would help those of us who come along to answer you to know that.

Thanks!
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 12, 2008, 04:03 AM
    Well, was management aware of what you already had managed to provide and implement?
    Did you discuss or report when your program was started up, was being implemented, and how it was functioning?
    And have you now recently discussed or reported again about the consultant's solution to be similar and/or identical to yours?
    What was the reaction from management?
    How is communication and staff approach within the company anyway?
    Is there a general problem, or is it possible a personal problem with one of the managers above you?
    You only provided a very general line of thought. How can you expect any fair comments from that?

And - just as a sideline - what type of program is this all about?
    As the robot stated : "Input, need more input!"

:)
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Management has the authority (unless there are binding agreements otherwise) to use consultants if they believe it is in the best interest of the company. Consultants are high cost but when weighed against the actual cost of maintaining a company employee, they are often cost effective.
    I worked for a state highway agency. We started some major highway/bridge projects and sometimes when we got the job going and up out of the mud, we would be moved out and consultants were brought in. If I were you I would look at it positively. You did such a good job with the startup that anybody could continue with it. Hopefully, they have another challenge for you.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Yep they can hire you at a wage/salary that you agree with and then they can hire consultants (unless you have a contract stating otherwise) and agree to pay them their wages. Consultants do make considerable more amount of money. Maybe you should see about getting a job as a consultant.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2008, 12:52 AM
    As already indicated, more information is needed from you. A lot of questions need to be answered so that folks here aren't assuming things because of the lack of information that has been received. Please let us know more about your situation.

Thanks!
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 08:07 AM
    I agree that more information would be very helpful. It sounds like you need to advocate for yourself by laying out your specific role in creating the program, and asking to be the point person for the consultants or at least a significant partner in the process. Ask what your role will be in the new foundation - show that you support the growth of the program and want to continue to be part of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This is not a joke! What should I do? [ 6 Answers ]

Please... My mom and dad are divorced. My mom and I go to Ohio every summer. She told me that she is thinking of moving up there some time soon. I really want to go but I live with my father and all my friends are where I live. I don't want to leave them. But I also want to move to Ohio. What...

Is This A Joke? [ 6 Answers ]

Please tell me this is a joke. » Full Service Medical Adoption Agency | Medical Adoptions - Full Service International Adoption Agency

Bar Joke [ 1 Answers ]

Two men were sitting next to each other at a bar. After a while, one guy looks at the other and says, "I can't help but think, from listening to you, that you're from Ireland." The other guy responds proudly, "Yes, that I am!" The first guy says, "So am I! And where abouts from Ireland...

Tell me what you think of this joke. [ 3 Answers ]

"Winning an argument is like winning the special olympics, you're still a retard." My brother told me this after I beat him in a name calling contest.

View more questions Search