Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poppycorn Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 12:23 AM
    Cataracts in dogs
    I just took my 5 yr. old dog (sheltie/tibetan spaniel) to the vet. He has white cloudy spots on his eyeballs. My vet says he's starting to have cataracts. Did not seem too concerned. Gave me eyedrops (steroids) to put on his eyes twice a day. Made appt. to go back in 2 weeks to check if there's been any improvement. I asked if he would go blind and she said he should be fine. After I went home, I looked up cataracts on the internet and it says the only cure is surgery. She never mentioned surgery to me. She really didn't seem like it was serious but when reading about it online it seems they eventually go blind. Is this serious? Will he probably go blind? Why didn't she mention surgery?
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Aug 17, 2008, 12:53 PM
    I have been told by our family physician, a cataract is inside the eye and can't be seen, the white cloudy spots are like the cornea which is the clear outside covering of the eyeball, has been subjected to heat, UV radiation, dust, chemicals etc in the course of everyday life just like when you cook an egg, the clear part gets white and opaque. Or it could be an infection of the eye like moonblindness sometimes called cottoneye. Your dog is 5, may live to a normal lifespan with no problems which is why the vet doesn't look at it as serious. Also the dog usually will go blind if he does, very gradually, he also will not realize what has happened to him. You will know it but he is not cognizant of it. I would check with our resident vision expert ChihuahuaMomma for expert advice
    Merricat Posts: 32, Reputation: 5

Aug 17, 2008, 03:00 PM
    I would go get a second opinion ASAP. We don't usually use steroids for cataracts, unless 1) we are 100% sure there are no scratches on the cornea and 2) we have definitely ruled out diabetes.
    So questions to ask: What diagnostics were done on the eye to make this diagnosis? (Answer: None--->run screaming to another vet). Was bloodwork done to rule out any illnesses that can cause cataracts?
    You sound like you might be interested in at least learning more about surgery so my suggestion would be to find a veterinary ophthalmologist in your area for your second opinion. That way you are cutting out the middle man, and if you do decide on surgery you are already with the person who can do it.
    Eyes are precious. Cataracts do not NECESSARILY mean blindness, but they can lead to blindness, and we are in possession of tools to prevent that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Dogs [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone no when the pit bull banning started? I need 2 know because I'm doing a speech on the bannings of pit bulls.

Dogs don't get along [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my 3 yr old chihuahua to accept my 3 month old Italian Greyhound? The puppy is smaller than the chihuahua, but he acts scared of the puppy. He tries to bite him if he is too close and shows his teeth when he is around. Help, please!!

Dogs and cat [ 7 Answers ]

I just got a 4 month old kitten last night and when I tried to introduce him to my two puppies he would freak out his hair would stand up he'd hiss and scratch me. I even tried when the puppies were in their crates, the dogs didn't bark or anything they just seemed excited. So should I just leave...

Cut on My dogs lip [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know about a cut on my dogs lip the reason for the cut is that a dog got loose and came and fought him but before we could break the fight he got caught on the lip and he has a big cut on his lip and I would like to know if its necessary to have it sewed up or the wound would...

View more questions Search