Aug 11, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Hot water heater pilot
    Pilot won't stay lit.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 11, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by horsen
    Pilot won't stay lit.

Does that mean thet the pilot goes out when you release the button?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 03:37 AM
    Hey All:

Horsen... if you are following the directions listed on the front of the gas water heater and pilot still will not stay lit then most likely it is time to change the THERMOCOUPLE (see image below) to the heater.

Here, you shut the gas flow into heater, remove the old thermocouple by releasing the thermocouple nut at the gas valve and then loosen the thermocouple from inside the combustion chamber. Then bring that to local home supply store and purchase one with similar length.

Finally, replace the thermocouple... be sure not to KINK the tubing to the thermocouple.

THEN:

Turn gas on
    Set to pilot setting
    Depress pilot/on/off button

Light pilot (not the thermocouple... the pilot tubing next to the thermocouple... see picture below... thermocouple on top, pilot tubing outlet on bottom).

Hold pilot/on/off button for 30 seconds or so...
    Release pilot/on/off button
    Install metal doors to combustion chamber
    Set pilot/on/off button to ON
    Make sure temperature setting is set at safe temperature on gas valve.

And hopefully, you're all set!

PS: If this is a newer water heater with a closed combustion chamber and an automatic ignitor then you would need to purchase an entire thermocouple KIT with gasket (click on thermocouple kit2pdf. Below to see a picture)... these would only be available at a PLUMBING SUPPLY HOUSE that carries your brand of water heater.

Let us know if you have any more questions here...

MARK
    Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf thermocouple kit2.pdf (29.2 KB, 190 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Hot water heater pilot light [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Reliance self cleaning gas 808 hot water heater. Had to turn it off to flea bomb the house but for the life of me, can't actually find the pilot light to re-light! The directions of HOW to light it are on the tank but no diagram for actually finding the thing! Can anyone direct me on...

Water heater pilot not staying lit [ 4 Answers ]

I have an approx 6 month old water tank from Sears. It is an enclosed Pilot setup. The pilot light keeps going out I can start it to heat up the water but then it is usually out I have to start it multiple times a day. I checked the vent cleaned it and it kept doing it called sears and they said...

Water Heater Pilot [ 2 Answers ]

My water heater is about 2 years old and the pilot lights keep turning off :mad:

Water heater pilot won't stay on [ 1 Answers ]

The pilot on my water heater will turn off two to three times per week. Why might cause this problem?

View more questions Search