Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrruss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 07:38 PM
    moving meter
    Hello,
    I appreciate your help in setting me straight on wire size etc.

I am in the process of putting up a 3 bay garage in NH. There will also be a 12x12 mud room between house and garage. I have run a 2" pvc conduit from garage underground to house. I will need to move my meter to the outside of the garage. Home is 100 amp service. My plan is to install a 200 amp service with 200 amp main in garage, and run a 100 amp feeder to home to replace the old feeder.
    Questions, what size wire will I need for this 100 foot run? Can I use a 100 amp breaker to feed the house and can I use emt, or pvc to run through garage to underground PVC that feeds home. Or best to use SER cable and no conduit?\
    Also, I am on about 3foot of soil and then I hit ledge, To install my ground grid, what do I do to get down to the 8 foot that code requires on my ground rods?
    Should I run a ground between panels and still use the old ground rod?

thanks,
    Russ
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Well, I would not have been my suggestion, but take a look at the service entrance stuff at Midwest Electric Products, Inc.. You could get a meter base with a 150/50 Amp breakers/disconnect. The 150 for the house and 50 for the garage unless you have other plans for the garage.

You are correct in that you will likely only be able to get a 100 A breaker with no chance for an upgrade or the main panel.

For now, were you planning on copper or aluminum for the 100' run? The garage is considered a detached structure, correct?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 06:57 AM
    The meter is usually the property of the Power Company. Please check with them before moving anything.

Also, be warned, if you try to move the meter, you will be working with live unprotected wires that can be very deadly.
    mrruss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrruss
    Hello,
    I appreciate your help in setting me straight on wire size etc.

I am in the process of putting up a 3 bay garage in NH. There will also be a 12x12 mud room between house and garage. I have run a 2" pvc conduit from garage underground to house. I will need to move my meter to the outside of the garage. Home is 100 amp service. My plan is to install a 200 amp service with 200 amp main in garage, and run a 100 amp feeder to home to replace the old feeder.
    Questions, what size wire will I need for this 100 foot run? Can I use a 100 amp breaker to feed the house and can I use emt, or pvc to run through garage to underground PVC that feeds home. Or best to use SER cable and no conduit?\
    Also, I am on about 3foot of soil and then I hit ledge, To install my ground grid, what do I do to get down to the 8 foot that code requires on my ground rods?
    Should I run a ground between panels and still use the the old ground rod?

thanks,
    Russ
    Thank for the info,

The power co will be moving the meter and the overhead service. I will prepare the new service and tie in the new feeder to the house. Would like to run copper wire, should I run in pvc, emt or use ser? And what size wire and conduit? I will keep it under 4 - 90s between pull boxes. What happens when I hit ledge while installing my ground rods?
    Thanks,
    Russ
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 12, 2008, 06:35 PM
    mrruss, You can't run se/ser cable underground by NEC. In the garage I would use 1 1/2"

EMT over to the 2" PVC and put a box there. You will need #3 copper wire xhwn would be

Recommended, 3 conductors plus a #8 copper EGC. Inside the house you will separate the

Neutrals/grounds and tie the GES to the ground bar only. If you can't drive rods at the new

Service location, there are other options in the code book you can use Article 250.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

320 amp meter [ 1 Answers ]

I set 2- 2oo amp main breaker panels in a house and ran 4/0 4 wire to the meter base which is 320 amp meter base the panel upstairs is about 30 ft away from the meter will I need another disconnect at the meter for that panel

Rmp meter is too low [ 1 Answers ]

I currently own a 99 Honda Civic LX and the rmp meter is too low how can I adjust it? I use to have a older car with a carburator and it had the screws that it was easy to adjust but with this car I've looked and I can't find it Thanks

What is the avg. Gas p.s.I. From gas meter on the residentcial side of meter [ 2 Answers ]

What is the avg. gas p.s.I. from gas meter on the residentcial side of meter. I think its 5 lbs. I live in Los Angeles, don't know if it changes from state to state.:eek:

Eliminate a meter [ 1 Answers ]

In this three story apartment triplex there is three separate meters and three separate 70A disconnect switch (circuit breakers) and from the disconnect power goes to a panel in each apartment. But the building was never zoned for the three apartments. So what the owner wants to do is eliminate...

Meter change out? [ 1 Answers ]

I have just purchased a home built in 1906 and we are going to have the utilities updated. I have plumbed 3 houses including the one I currently live in an plan to do the work on this house as well; however none of them have been this big. I want to make sure that I do not run into problems...

View more questions Search