Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DTB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Cedar Deck Killing Lawn?
    My sod has been in 4 years and has looked great. Now on the southeast side of the house near my cedar deck it is dying. It is slightly sloped there. Neighbors tell me that is common from the runoff of decks. Is that true? Will it come back with a lot of water?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Lots of things could be causing it. A lot of clay or gravel in that area would be my first guess.

You say the area dying is slightly sloped. Do you mean sloped so that it's lower than the rest of the area... or higher? If higher - and especially if it gets a lot of sun, then it may not be getting enough water.

As for the cedar deck: I don't buy it. I've never heard it before and googled it a variety of ways and am just not finding anyone relating runoff from a cedar deck to lawn problems.

Anyway, watering is certainly the first thing to do to try to bring it back. Beyond that, you could call a couple local lawn care company for a "free estimate" and ask them what the problem is and what their recommended solution is - then tackle it on your own.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2006, 07:06 AM
    HI,
    I agree with the cedar deck not being the problem. I cannot back that up with statistics, cause I can't find any on it either!
    I do know there are homes around an 18 mile long lake in our local area, been there for years and years, many with cedar decks, outside stairs, etc, and it hasn't been a problem with grass dying.
    I would check the ground "wetness" by digging a small hole, see if the ground is wet underneath the dying grass, maybe 3 inches down. If it's dry, then I agree with watering it.
    The only grass that dies out is that which is under Cedar Trees, live, with all the needles and "fall-off" covering the ground. If you have an Agricultural or Farm Agent in your local area, take a sample of the dirt from that area to be analyzed. You might need more of a specific type of nutrients in the soil.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Apr 18, 2006, 08:25 AM
    If grass has been OK for 4 years... is it because the decking is new?

My garden is fine around by the decking.

Is the dying grassed area, now, in a lot of shade... could be moss killing the grass. Is the grass yellowing, brown?

Look at http://www.turffit.co.uk/lawndiseases.html may give you a clue

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple personalities killing [ 13 Answers ]

Undefinedundefinedundefined :rolleyes: if a person with multiple personalities kills himself is it considered a homicide?

HELp me find the name of this movie... its killing me haha [ 5 Answers ]

OK so its from the 80s its about this little boy who wakes up from sleeping in his bed and sees a lot of creatures in his room that talk to him... then at some part he's flying on his bed... then another part he is flying on a blimp looking thing with a basket attached... sorta like a hot air...

Killing them bugs [ 3 Answers ]

Anybody here know what the best product to kill them bugs around the outside of your home is. A lot seep to recommend tempo wp/sc. I will be killing mostly spiders but I need something with a good range of killing ability. Also what is the best way of application for this product i.e. use in a low...

Power bill is killing me [ 2 Answers ]

My home is 2215 sqf. The only appliances I have that are electric are my refrigerator, hot water heater, dishwasher and my AC. My stove, furnace, and dryer are all gas. We have 5 people living in my home. Due to the amount of our power bills we never run the AC unless the heat is just to...

Looking for new lawn mower deck [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1993 Sears Craftman riding lawn mower 43" "Steering Machine". I need a new mower deck. Sears does not support after the mower is 10 years old. AYP made the original deck but they don't offer. Seems part of the issue is 43". The tractor is in great shape just need a new deck. Any...

View more questions Search