Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xpdectb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Motherboard Expansion
    Does anyone know if I can expand a motherboard to hold an extra 4GB's of memory, I would like to purchase a laptop but it can only hold 4GB's of memory, I would just like to know if I can put the extra slots in to hold the extra 4GB's for a total of 8GB's of memory. All answers will be appreciated. Thanks
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 11, 2008, 06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdectb
    i would just like to know if i can put the extra slots in to hold the extra 4GB's for a total of 8GB's of memory.
    In nearly all cases, laptop, desktop, server, whatever, the answer is no without non-commodity hardware specifically designed to do so. You're best best is to find a laptop that supports larger memory modules that will yield an 8 GB arrangement. Also note that unless you're running a 64 bit operating system the extra RAM would be underutilized. Mark's Blog : Pushing the Limits of Windows: Physical Memory discusses memory limitations and issues for various Windows flavors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

478 motherboard [ 1 Answers ]

Can a 478 motherboard handle a dual core intel processor

Motherboard came from? [ 1 Answers ]

I was given this light brown and light ornge colored M.B. that says P4SD(or O)-LA. Any idea what it came out of?not much else on it (it has a : mPGA478B).I need to look up the manual on it.HELP! PLEASE!

Motherboard... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I wonder how to find out if my motherboard is ATX or not, cause I'm buying an new midi tower for my PC and I wonder if my current motherboard will fit in to it...

Motherboard [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one help with my new motherboard? I have bought a MSI KT4 Ultra motherboard and AMD 2.4 XP,1G DDR Ram,80G HHD but when I put all this together and boot it up all, I got was blank screen becase it didn't autodetect my CPU at 133MHz and I can't set it up manually because there no jumper...

View more questions Search