Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 12:38 PM
    Toilet Flange Too High
    I'm remodeling my bathroom and I tore up the existing floor which had about 4 layers of laminate. Now, I am at the concrete floor slab and the toilet flange is about 3/4" to 1" above the slab. I was just going to tile around the toilet but the toilet rocks because the flange is too high.

The doesn't rock if I place a couple of pieces of tile under it.

1) Should I just tile right up the waste pipe and then screw the flange to the tile? Can the tile take this? Or do I have to put something else under the flange and put the tile to that?

I think it's a cast iron pipe with a cast iron flange. I'm no plumber by any means and I really have absolutely no idea what to do.
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Aug 11, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Well, I am not a plumber either, but it seems to me that if the tile fits under the flange, you should install the tile. Make sure it goes all the way under the flange to the pipe leaving no voids. I think you should be fastening the flange down THROUGH the tile to the underlying concrete
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 12, 2008, 06:54 AM
    1) Should I just tile right up the waste pipe and then screw the flange to the tile? Can the tile take this? Or do I have to put something else under the flange and put the tile to that?
    If you tile under the flange will that bring the flange level with the floor so you can set the toilet without any rocking or will it still be too high.
    If the flange needs to be lowered here's how I would go about it.
    Take a block of 2 X 4 and start to tap around the flange to take it down to finished floor level. Take a adjustable crescent wrench and
    nibble off the cast iron pipe down to the flange. Since this is a lead and oakum joint that you've disturbed you will have to recaulk the lead joint. This will secure the flange to the finished floor and insure a waterproof joint.
    Good luck. Tom

Aug 12, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Yes, I think that it will bring it flush with the floor without any rocking. If you do tap down the flange, do you just caulk under the exterior of the flange or the inside? Thanks for you help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 01:25 PM
    You don't actually caulk a cast flange, its molten lead and oakum for the seal.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 12, 2008, 02:08 PM
    MeSince this is a lead and oakum joint that you've disturbed you will have to recaulk the lead joint.
    Bob You don't actually caulk a cast flange, its molten lead and oakum for the seal.
    My bad!! I should have been clearer in my explanation. Yes,you will have to recaulk the lead joint usinga set of inside and outside caulking irons,(see image).
    No, you won't use cauking compound under the flange. Sorryfor any confusion. Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 05:05 PM
    I knew what you meant, Tom, but thought lost11 was about to grab his caulking gun when he said "caulk under the exterior of the flange." I guess he could also remove the cast flange and go with an Oatey twist-n-set.

Aug 19, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Thanks a lot for the help. It was flsuh with the tile so I didn't have to do anything. Thanks for the clarification because I didn't know what you meant. Thanks again for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange 2 high [ 11 Answers ]

My toilet flange sits on top of the marble floor and they used mortar to level it out 25 years ago. Went to replace toilet and just found out this lovely surprise its pvc glued in concrete can I just shim it out or even lay tile under the toilet for support will this work thanks for any help

Toilet Flange too high [ 6 Answers ]

My hired help left the new tile floor about 1 1/4 inch too low for the existing Cast Iron toilet flange. I know this has been addressed previously on thjis site but I couldn't quite understnd the proper solution. I'm hoping my attached picture of my situation will provide a basis for a clear answer...

High Flange For A Toilet [ 7 Answers ]

Please help. We just made a big mistake when installing the toilet flange. It sit 3" up off the concrete. The flange is attached to a street 90. Any ideas. Are there any toilet with high outlet??

Toilet Flange too high [ 4 Answers ]

Please Help! I am installing a new KOHLER toilet and I have purchased a new PVC toilet Flange which sits inside of my waste pipe, I primed and sealed it to the existing waste pipe and it sits too high off the floor, the toilet will not go to the floor with this type of flange, and if I saw it off...

View more questions Search