Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blaze7425 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Child abandonment/terminating rights
    My 9 year old daughter's father left when I was 7 months pregnant, and has never had contact with her (his choice). He is in the military, and is paying child support. This year he moved back to Washington state (where I live as well). He contacted me and requested to see our daughter. I am married, and we were looking into having the bio father's rights termed so my husband, who has raised my daughter for the last 6 years, can adopt her. Does anyone know what the chances are that the courts will term his parental rights now that he has expressed interest in meeting his daughter after 9 years? Thank you so much for any advice you can give.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze7425
    My 9 year old daughter's father left when I was 7 months pregnant, and has never had contact with her (his choice). He is in the military, and is paying child support. This year he moved back to Washington state (where I live as well). He contacted me and requested to see our daughter. I am married, and we were looking into having the bio father's rights termed so my husband, who has raised my daughter for the last 6 years, can adopt her. Does anyone know what the chances are that the courts will term his parental rights now that he has expressed interest in meeting his daughter after 9 years? Thank you so much for any advice you can give.

He's paying support? That's considered having contact. If he consents to the adoption it can happen.

If he does not, it will not.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2008, 12:40 PM
    The chances are extremely small that the adoption can go through without his consent. On the other hand, if he understands that support will end if the adoption goes through, he may consent.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 01:04 PM
    As already pointed out it is up to him (the bio dad) if the adoption will go through. It dosen't matter that he wants to see her now... he has been paying support so therefore there is no abandonment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2008, 04:23 PM
    In almost all cases if the one parent wants to be with his child, his rights will not be taken away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment/terminating rights [ 1 Answers ]

Want some information on how long a parent has to be absent to get them on abandoment, and how to terminate there parental rights in the state of FL, so that I may adopt my fiancee's son if possible. My fiancée has sole primary custody of his 4 yr. old. The mother was incarcerated when he was...

Terminating rights [ 4 Answers ]

yes hello my name is tara williams and my best friend told me that even though I have a pfa on my x and he has not seen my son in 6 months in a row and he does not pay child support I can legally take he rights even though I am not yet married again is that true and how do I go about doing it?

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child abandonment/ termination of parental rights/ step mother adoption ? [ 2 Answers ]

MY husbands exwife give birth to his(our) daughter in Feb of 2006. He was in Iraq and she did not notify him of the birth. She was using crystal meth and the baby was born addicted. Someone notified the red cross after seeing her military ID and a month later my husband found out. The baby went...

Terminating his Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 16 months old and she does not know her biological father. He hasn't been around and he does not pay child support or help me in any way. My fiancé has been taking care of her and wants to adopt her when we get married. I am 17 and her father is 19. What can I do to get him to give...

View more questions Search