Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wellie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Unknown source of clear water in basement when rain
    In the last few years, I have noticed there is clear water showing up on the floor of my base at around two coners near the front. It ONLY occurs when it rains or I water the lawn too much. There is no crack anywhere (wall and floor) and it is a mysterious as where the clear water comes from. My guess is that it sips through the concret and the sidewall. Am I right or wrong ?

If not, does anyone has any idea what it may be and where it comes from ?

What can I do to fix it ? Do I need a contractor ?

Please advise if you can.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 12, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Wellie,
    Read this post, and perhaps re-post your question in the construction section. You'll probably get more help there. I certainly can't help... we don't have basements in Florida very often. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/constr...nt-247884.html
    Good Luck,
    Al
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Are gutters working properly? Is lawn graded to drain away from house? Since rain and lawn watering seem to cause the problem, a shallow, 6" perforated drain pipe encased in stone, installed parallel to the foundation wall might divert the water. There has to be a good amount of slope (1/2 inch per foot or more) from the problem area to the outlet or the stone/pipe trench could actually allow more water to find its way to the basement. A filter cloth at the bottom of the trench will help. Lastly, put a screen on the outlet end of the pipe to prevent rodents from building nests and blocking the pipe.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Does this house have a sump pump pit? The floor and walls are poured at two different times. The joint between the two is a likely leak point which could be cured by a curtain drain and sump pump. If there is none now this cure would be drastic and costly. Pitching the yard may help but this may actually be ground water table rising in the rain.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 10:18 PM
    The water is of course, rain water or water from the lawn sprinkler. It is most likely coming in through the basement wall as opposed to the basement floor/wall joint, since this can occur from overwatering the lawn. It would be almost impossible to overwater the lawn enough to cause it to reach that level.

Suggest that you excavate the soil in that area down far enough to not be punctured by any shrubbery planting and out about 2 to 3 foot. Clean the wall and coat the wall with a bituminous adhesive. Imbed heavy duty plastic sheeting in the adhesive, letting the plastic spread out like an apron and back fill the soil. This should divert the water away from the exterior of the basement wall.
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Aug 29, 2008, 06:21 AM
    How old is the house and have the weeping tiles ever been done? Cracks in cement could be so fine you can't see them, get down close where you see the water,you'll find a crack.Normally when you have water in a basement your weeping tiles are plugged or colasped.Depending on how old the house is the tile could be clay tile sections about a foot long, these get clogged with roots from trees over the years and then they can't remove the rain water from around your foundation hence letting the water in.They sell a product called blue skin now,excellent to wrap your basement walls with,plastic works but that's old school now.A weeping tile job could run you 10 to 15k depending on the sixe of the house and stuff around the house that has to be removed prior to excavation, good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement drain backing up with rain water? [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1937. There's a basement drain near one corner that has never flooded. I have a dehumidifier parked over the top of it that drains into it (and has done so for about 10 years; I've also drained hot water tank and boiler into it as needed, so it works). The last two heavy...

Basement drain backs up during heavy rain. [ 1 Answers ]

The home was built in 1948 (Wayne MI), and is tied into the cities sewer system. Just last week we had a heavy rain. I come home from work, go down stairs only to see our carpet soaking wet. I remove the carpet and see that the water level in the drain is flush with the floor. :confused: The...

Basement Floor Drain Overflowing Under Hard Rain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a house that was built in 1989. I have lived in the house for 5 years. There is a floor drain in my basement that is not plumbed to the sump hole. I am not sure where the drain goes, but in the 5 years that I have lived here the drain has overflowed twice. It creates about a...

Please help - source of smell in basement? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am new to this board and would appreciate your help. We have had a bad sewer smell come and go from our basement - and the smell comes up into the rest of the house. We use the bathroom down there daily, so it's not a case of dried up p-traps, or whatever, and the smell is not in the...

Popups from an unknown source [ 35 Answers ]

I keep getting these popup ads that start with a URL that includes "documentsandsettings/localsettings/temp" and then changes to the ad's URL. I've noticed it also creates folders labeled DlfnTmp1, DlfnTmp2, etc. in the documentsandsettings/localsettings/temp folder. I can't figure out what's...

View more questions Search