Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Aug 11, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Pulling Wisdom Teeth
    My Dentist told me I have some decay on one of my wisdom teeth (I have all 4) and I should get them all removed because it will be easier to clean my teeth. This may be true but I don't have insurance and really don't want to spend $1200 getting them removed. Do I really need to get them all out? No pain or discomfort. I'd be willing to pull one of them if I had to, but all 4 seems excessive.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Gosh, do you have a cash register you carry around with you too? I'd keep the teeth and only have the decayed one filled. If they came in properly and don't bother you, don't bother to have them pulled just because your dentist needs a few extra bucks in his pocket.

Aug 11, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Exactly, he gave me a list of reasons he wants to pull them, but I think he just needs to make a payment on that Hummer he drives.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 02:22 PM
    If your wisdom teeth are easy to keep clean, meaning they are fully erupted and you can reach them with your toothbrush, there is no need to have them removed. Being that you have decay in one of them it seems that you may have trouble reaching them.

There is no reason to have all four removed. The ideal would be to fill the one with the cavity and if you should happen to get a cavity in that tooth again, think about having it removed.

If you must have it removed you should consider having the wisdom tooth that opposes it (either above or below it) removed at some point if it's not touching a tooth.

You have every right to tell your dentist to try filling the tooth or to remove just that one.

Good luck.

Aug 11, 2008, 02:27 PM
    He said he would hit a nerve if he filled it. Maybe I'll just get the 2 on that side out.

Hey Flossie, he told me he would do it, but can't put me under or I could go to a oral surgeon, which is more expensive. He wants about $300 a tooth, oral surgeon would be more I imagine, but I haven't talked to one so I'm not sure how much more. Any thoughts?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 05:25 PM
    It's probably best to have the 2 removed especially since the dentist said you'd probably be looking at a root canal since the decay is so close to the nerve.

You'd definitely be paying more at an Oral Surgeon, not only for the removal of the teeth but add the cost of the general anesthetic on top of it.

If the teeth are already in your mouth there is no reason you'd need general. Perhaps your dentist can prescribe Valium or you can use laughing gas if you feel uneasy about having the teeth out.
    qween00 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Aug 12, 2008, 07:46 PM
    I have the same problem - my advise would be get a water pik. They are about 80 dollars but considering the alternative seems cheap. My dentist oked it. But I am no professional. Just my opinion.. have a good day. And GOD BLESS
    blueeyes8807 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 06:55 PM
    The only reason you would need to get your wisdom teeth pulled is if they are causing problems. When there isn't enough room in your mouth it's painful and uncomfortable and that's normally the reason you get them pulled (unless there is decay or something like that). I had all 4 pulled at the same time and I went to an oral surgeon and everything went fine. I would only get them pulled if it is necessary (the ones that have decay on them) other wise just leave them alone because your mouth obviously has room for them to be there. Trust me you don't want to go through the after pain of getting them pulled if you don't have to. Most of the horror stories of getting them pulled are from people who went to the dentist to have them pulled and not an oral surgeon. I'd go with that if you had the money or insurance. Good Luck, hope things work out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wisdom teeth haven't come in yet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! I was just wondering, by what age do your wisdom teeth usually come in? I'm not worried about it or anything, just curious. I'm 23 and mine haven't started to come in at all, but some of my friends have already had to have theirs pulled. What about people on here? What age were you when...

Pulling teeth [ 11 Answers ]

I am gettign teeth pulled soon ( not sure which ones but ones I nthe back, a baby one and I don't know, but I know I'm getting them pulled) I was wondering 1. Does it hurt? If so, how much? Horrible pain that would make you cry? Or just soreness, like after getting braces? 2.Is there a...

Teeth Pulling [ 5 Answers ]

Im having 7 teeth pulled at one time. That's right 7 four of them are my wisdom teeth and 2 of them have to be cut out and then Im having 3 other teeth. How long will I need to take off from work?

Pulling baby teeth [ 2 Answers ]

Is it necessary to pull out a baby tooth if it is badly decayed (large cavity)

Wisdom teeth [ 3 Answers ]

:-[ Help me, I am 17 and I think I am dying. My mom says that I am getting my wisdom teeth in. My left side of my mouth is slightly swollen and very sensitive. There is a part of my cheek or gums (or something) that is irritated and swollen OVER my back molars. Am I really getting my wisdom...

View more questions Search