Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Whammyzoid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2003, 06:37 PM
    IE issues
    Hey, I'm new here, so I need a little help.

Last Sunday, Internet Explorer stopped working (I have Win XP, as well as high-speed cable Internet BTW). So two days later, I called the cable company, and they told me to run a node test. It came out clean. Then they told me about a program called System Restore. Tried it, but it would only take me back to that day. Then I called a computer store seeking advice. They told me that if I had a firewall on my computer, that I needed to disable it. Guess what: I don't know how to disable it!?

Help!
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Dec 15, 2003, 11:56 PM
    IE issues
    Can you be a bit more specific? Do you receive any error messages? What exactly is "not working?" Does IE start at all?

:)

You might want to try out a different internet browser...

~psi42
    scud Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2003, 04:30 AM
    Re: IE issues
    Hi Whammyzoid,

Sorry to hear about your Internet Explorer, I wonder if you could give us some more information so that we might be able to help you?

Was there any specific software you installed before Internet Explorer stopped working? If so, the best bet is to uninstall this software using add/remove programs or the programs uninstaller.

When you mentioned the firewall and I quote "I don't know how to disable it!", is it safe to assume that means you _do_ have a firewall installed? If so let us know what the name of the firewall so we can help further. If your not sure have a look in your installed programs (add/remove programs) or check the system tray (near the clock) for any new icons that may have appeared. If it is possible and you have identified the firewall, uninstall the firewall as a temporary fix until we can give you some more help. At least you will know if that was causing the problem or not.

Without knowing the name of a firewall then there isn't much more I can do to help you but I hope the above advice proves of some assistance to you.

Thank you,
    SCUD :)

Dec 17, 2003, 03:07 PM
    IE issues
    For example, when I click on the icon, the page comes up and it reads, "The page can't be displayed". Also, I have Symantec Web Security as well as Bullguard and Spyware Nuker. Does this help? ;D
    scud Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2003, 04:25 PM
    IE issues
    If at all possible try and switch off these programs one by one and see if that helps at all. I think Spyware nuker should be fine but Bullgaurd and Symantec may both need to be switched off in order to determine if they are causing the problem.

Dec 18, 2003, 03:59 PM
    Re: IE issues
    How do I do that? Because I tried shutting down Symantec and it still had no effect. :-[ Am I supposed to shut them both off??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two issues [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry, I decided not to post... don't know how to delete threads! :)

TAX issues [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all, I Completed my Master's and currently Im working in USA on OPT. How much tax is deducted(%) frm our monthly income, while on OPT? Also what forms besides the W4, are to be filled by students on OPT?

Tub Issues [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My name is Barb, I went to take a shower this morning and had no water pressure at my tub area. The sink is fine, to toilet flushes just fine, but no water at tub. I took off the spout, I pryed off the turn handle but nothing that I see is causing my water not to POUR out. I looked at the hot...

New - gfi issues [ 8 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement... installing a GFI outlet at the beginning of the chain for some outlets... having an issue with GFI... I have the load and Line wire correctly identified and installed into the repsective places on the GFI Outlet... When I turn on the break with an device plugged...

View more questions Search