Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    04091985 Posts: 86, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Shared document increases drastically when saved
    Hi,

I have an excel document 2003 shared in server . A group of team access those file simultaneously and they have permission to edit and save in the server itself that is they don't have access to copy and save. They have to connect to the server and open the shared file in the server itself edit and save it. While saving them the file size of excel document increases to 200 or 300 mb when u cut the data and paste it to your system it will be merely 2 to 3 mb file. Do anyone have the idea or solution for this cause because systems are getting hanged if the file size is increased.:(
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 11, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Do you have delete permissions turned off?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Most likely, with simultaneousl access Excel has to manage the changes to the data as well as the data. That's why its growing so large.
    04091985 Posts: 86, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2008, 07:21 AM
    No just after installin 2007 office in one of the PC this problem is happenning
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Well 2007 does add overhead.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 11, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Install the MS Office Compatibility Pack for Office 2007 on your Office 2003 installations. Then take a copy of this file, paste it to a new Office 2007 document and work on it as a Office 2007 document. As much as I detest the new Ribbons of Office 2007, the file formats are much more efficient than the older formats. However, if you have an Office 2007 machine constantly converting up and then saving down to the old format, it is likely causing this file bloating. Test and see.

Also, make sure that delete permissions are not denied on this file. Cleanup has to be performed before the file is saved. It is kind of like deleting the old and replacing it with the new, not just appending to the old file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog has changed his behavior drastically [ 10 Answers ]

I changed my dogs food about a month ago and he ate the first bag fine. I bought the second bag about a week ago and he no longer wants to eat. He drinks water and will eat some of the human food I give him but his behavior has changed. He is an 8 month old siberian husky that has demanded to be...

Dog behavior change drastically [ 8 Answers ]

I went on vacation and left my dog with my daughter and cousin. My dog is a beagle bassett and ever since I got home she barks whenever I put her to bed. The bark is different and she shakes really bad and runs from me barking unlike anything I have seen. She also crouches down and looks up at the...

Dog behavior change drastically [ 5 Answers ]

I went on vacation and left my dog with my daughter and cousin. My dog is a beagle bassett and ever since I got home she barks whenever I put her to bed. The bark is different and she shakes really bad and runs from me barking unlike anything I have seen. She also crouches down and looks up at the...

While taking showers water changes drastically [ 9 Answers ]

We started doing construction on our bathrooms. The bathroom that has not been remodel is where we take our showers. While taking a shower the water will be perfect. A few minutes it will change to extremely HOT and then FREEZING cold water. What has happened to our water system. Thanks:confused:

Drastically different levels of desire [ 10 Answers ]

Perhaps someone else know what I'm feeling here… What do you do when you and your spouse have drastically different levels of sexual desire? In recent years, my wife has developed a very “take it or leave it” kind of attitude towards sex. Weeks go by where she has just no interest. She’s more...

View more questions Search