Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SaddestDay Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Aug 2, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Cheque cashing Scams in Ontario
    Sadly I fell victim to my own ignorance.

I've cashed about 4000$ worth of cheques at my bank. Then the person who I cashed the cheques for ran off with my bank card. Iève cancelled the card, but now I'm faced with a different problem, The bank froze my account and is holding my welfare cheque till the other 4 clear. I've been told by the bank that fraudulent deposits and withdrawals were made.

A friend of mine suggested that I go into my home branch myself and make an offer to pay back everything and hopefully I won't get charged. He said the police will be involved, if I wait for the bank to contact me.

What should I do ?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 03:57 PM
    You should be ashamed and I hope you get caught. $4000 of someone else's money makes me sick. Turn yourself in and it will be easier on you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 03:59 PM
    If the checks were fraud, you are the victimm and you need to file a police report against the person who gave you the checks, you take this to the bank. If the checks are bad and you took the money out, you will also have over draft and over limit type fees also. And if you bounced any checks because of this those fees also.

But yes, you need to go see them and make arrangements to pay this money back.

Aug 2, 2008, 04:08 PM
    It wasn't someone else's checks I cashed, they were fake business checks...
    They had my name but fake info. And a well known business name on them...

A friend of mine told me to go to the bank manager in person and beg for them to just make me pay it back instead of going through the court system.. . Cause then I'd pay back double or even triple plus get charged

This is my first time doing anything like this, and I'm scared sh!tless cause I'm under 21 with 2 kids...
    Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 04:27 PM
    If you made up the fake checks, did not get them from someone else, I doubt they will do anything but call the police, But you can go beg and if you can pay them back in full they may well do it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 04:46 PM
    You didn't read the OP right, FR. I did. He COMMITTED FRAUD.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 04:51 PM
    No, he says he cashed them for someone, so it sounded like someone else gave them the checks. Then that person ran off with his bank card.
    I did read it and he said the checks were someone else's

Aug 2, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    If you made up the fake checks, did not get them from someone else, I doubt they will do anything but call the police, But you can go beg and if you can pay them back in full they may well do it.
    Someone gave them to me, I have not the slightest idea how to make them...
    I didn't realize it was fraud till this morning, the guy wrote me some checks gave them to me

Aug 5, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Banking in Ontario
    The bank is holding my w3elfare check cause of fraudulent activity in the account, are they allowed to do that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Yes

Aug 5, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Seriously,.
    Someone told me it depends on the banking manager
    And if they have it in writing that I'll pay them back them they might have mercy on me
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Yes that's possible. But they are legally allowed to place a hold on funds if there has been fraudulent activity.

Aug 5, 2008, 08:29 AM
    ii, thank you

Aug 10, 2008, 04:16 PM
    UnAuthorized withdrawals by bank
    I have a credit card with BMO, but I owe them 3 grand in overdraft. Is BMO allowed to go into my credit without my permission and move the money from my credit card to the over draft?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddestDay
    I have a credit card with BMO, but i owe them 3 grand in overdraft. Is BMO allowed to go into my credit without my permission and move the money from my credit card to the over draft?

What State? It's done in NYS all the time.

Aug 10, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Sorry about that, in Ontario Canada

Update: I called the bank and they told me that the transaction took place at my home branch, and the banks cannot do that unless I give written authorization...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 03:56 AM
    What does your written contract say when you opened your account? Therein lies the answer to your question. If the "fine print" says they can when you have an overdraft, then they can do just that. How do you propose to pay for the overdraft?

Aug 11, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    What does your written contract say when you opened your account? Therein lies the answer to your question. If the "fine print" says they can when you have an overdraft, then they can do just that. How do you propose to pay for the overdraft?

They told me that I have till the end of September to pay the ovredraft before they take legal action... the joke is that my account has only been in overdraft for 11 days now...

I agreed that I'll do my best to pay off what I can by September because I'm a single mother and about to go back to college... The manager said "No, you must pay this off by the end of september"

I was planning on using a part of my student loan to pay it off. Seeing how at least I'd have more time to pay back student loan.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Hello Sad:

Doncha want to tell us how it happened?? Doncha think we've heard of the Nigerian scam that got you? What?? Did they answer you add of Craigs List?

Apparently, your bank is holding criminal charges over your head... I'd do my best to pay them back, and I'd do it NOW.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddestDay
    They told me that i have till the end of September to pay the ovredraft before they take legal action... the joke is that my account has only been in overdraft for 11 days now...

I agreed that I'll do my best to pay off what i can by September because I'm a single mother and about to go back to college... The manager said "No, you must pay this off by the end of september"

I was planning on using a part of my student loan to pay it off. seeing how at least i'd have more time to pay back student loan.

When they say legal action are they talking about civil Court for a deliberate overdraw?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unauthorized email access [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania. A co-worker of mine found my personal (not work related at all) email password and used it to read my emails without my knowledge or permission. She is divorcing and found some slightly inappropriate emails between her husband and I. Can she use these in court? Is it...

Unauthorized entry laws [ 2 Answers ]

OK I live in the country where every one that farms and I had my car parked on my land and half of my car was parked on someone else's land and the onwer came by and entered my suv and took my regerstation and called the sheriff and gave all my papers to the sheriff on top of stealing out of my car...

Unauthorized Charges [ 4 Answers ]

I recently made a payment to earthlink with my bankcard and the next day they charged me an additional 154.90 without my knowledge.when I called the companythey said that once they have your card numberthey can use it for anything that is due even without your permission to keep the number on file...

Unauthorized entry [ 2 Answers ]

I came and was barely able to get into my driveway. I live in a cul-de-sac the entire cul-de-sac was packed and I could barely get through. Once I did get through I saw around 20-30 people all going in and out of my premises, which is 15 Freda Court. My fiancé is the lease holder my name is not...

View more questions Search