Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romeo_Bravo Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Credit card, no idea
    I'm going on a vacation to the USA, and for that vacation I rented a car. It was advised to get a credit card, which we had to use for a security deposit (hope that's the right word).

How does that work? I'm from Europe, where credit cards are barely used. I heard that its risky to give your credit card. Will they at the car rental ask for my credit card, or the number of my credit card, or will I have to slide it through a scanner or something?

Please help.

Thanks
    flamingo93 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo_Bravo
    I'm going on a vacation to the USA, and for that vacation I rented a car. It was advised to get a credit card, which we had to use for a security deposit (hope thats the right word).

How does that work? I'm from Europe, where credit cards are barely used. I heard that its risky to give your credit card. Will they at the car rental ask for my credit card, or the number of my credit card, or will I have to slide it through a scanner or something?

Please help.

Thanks
    You usually need a credit card to rent the car.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 07:50 AM
    They will process the card to make sure it is valid, and they will retain the card information to use if you failed to pay for the rental, or damage the vehicle in a way not covered by your current insurance, or the insurance you might purchase from the rental dealer.

You can always pay cash when you return the vehicle, and ask for the credit card slip back when you do.

If you pay cash upon return, then nothing should be charged to the credit card.

Make SURE that someone does an inspection of the entire vehicle when you return it, and that you get a copy or receipt stating that there is no damage, and that there will be no other charges than what you are paying for at the time of return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a credit card who will only check transunion/poor credit [ 1 Answers ]

My transunion score is high and the others r in the high fives I'm looking for a business credit card is there a chance there might be one who will only check my transunion? Thank you Smart B Development Corp.

Civil summons for a credit card, but my fianc? Has never had a credit card [ 13 Answers ]

Hello! My fiancé has received a civil summons from a law firm representing Discover card. My fiancé has never had a discover card in his life. His parents hae one, but the civil summons is for him. He has never received a bill or a letter or a phone call. Apparently the card balance has been...

FICO Credit Score: Maintain a 50% debt to credit-limit ratio on _each_ card? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been advised that I should transfer part of a balance of one credit card to another card in order to maintain 50% debt to credit limit ratio on _each_ card even though my _total_ debt to credit limit ratio is already below 50%. (Most of the debt is on one card for convenience.) I could...

Birthday Card, Good idea or Bad [ 6 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, My boyfriend left me about 7 weeks ago for a girl he works with. I have maintained N/C since then but I really love him and would take him back under certain circumstances. I don't want to call and beg him or push him away I want him to come back because he wants to. But his...

View more questions Search