Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Apr 16, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Drilled well pump question
    I have a drilled well with the pump feeding a pressure tank(wx-202)... the pressures are set at 30/50psi... but when the well pump kicks in there are air bubbles that make my faucets sputter and spit... I suspected there was a air leak in the well pump to pressure tank line but wouldn't I hear a sucking sound if there is?. when the tank is under pressure there are no leaks that I can see... any clue folks... any advice will be appreciated... thanks..
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 17, 2006, 06:24 AM
    Hi Tommy,

Your 20 gallon bladder tank should show a reading of 28 PSI with the pump shut off and the pressure bled down. ( I just thought I'd toss that in.) If there were a leak in the suction line from the well point up to t6he surface you wouldn't hear a thing. Air can only get sucked in the system from the suction line. Everything else from the pump to the rest of the system's pressure and you would see water from the leak. You need a pump man out there to check your lines. Good luck. Tom

Apr 17, 2006, 05:48 PM
    So what I should do is bleed the pressure tank of water and read the pressure... should be around 28psi.. ok... is that the precharged pressure from the factory?if its lower than 28psi would that mean there is a leak in the bladder bag?it's a brand new pressure tank not even 1 month old so I know its still covered under warranty in case I need it returned... thanks for any help
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2006, 05:13 AM
    Hi Tommy,
    "so what i should do is bleed the pressure tank of water and read the pressure...should be around 28psi..ok....is that the precharged pressure from the factory?"
    "The bladder tank precharge pressure should be set 2 pounds lower then the cut-in pressutr on your control box. In your case 28 PSI.

"if its lower than 28psi would that mean there is a leak in the bladder bag?"
    No, you must reset the bladder pressure to the control box at the time of installation.

Om another note I'm going to put up a image of a shallow well system. Notice the larger suction pipe. If you have a leak anywhere in the line you would lose pressure and see bubbles in the water. Good luck, Tom

Apr 26, 2006, 12:11 AM
    Bad Check Valve in Well??
    Was trying to troubleshoot air bubbles being pumped by my well and came across this answer... the check valve in my drilled well pump may have gone bad... any truth to that?will that cause air bubbles to be drawn into my piping?thanks for any help... I would really like to get this fixed asap because I have a softner system ready to go and I'm worried the air bubbles will mess up the worikings of the softner..
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 26, 2006, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    was trying to troubleshoot air bubbles being pumped by my well and came across this answer...the check valve in my drilled well pump may have gone bad....any truth to that?will that cause air bubbles to be drawn into my piping?thanks for any help...i would really like to get this fixed asap because i have a softner system ready to go and im worried the air bubbles will mess up the worikings of the softner..

Hey Tommy,
    If the check valve were bad this wouldn't interject bubbles in your water. If the check valve were bad you would lose prime evey time the pump built up the pressure and shut down and the pump would start right back up again.
    I think the leak is in the suction line. Regards, Tom

Apr 27, 2006, 07:29 PM
    Would I have to pull the entire pump from the casing to check?
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2006, 05:34 AM
    Pumps are a separate trade in my area. All we have are sprinkler systems. However I've been exposed to pumps a bit. I believe there is a method where they pressure up the suction line to check for leaks or a faulty foot valve. This way the pipe will not have to be pulled out. Check with your local pump service man. Good luck, Tom

Apr 28, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Will do thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump question [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and we have a lennox heat pump unit. It has been very hot here recently averaging about 90+ and I have noticed that during the day my heat pump seems to run almost continuously with the tstat set at 74. It will cut off once and a while but its usually only for about 5-10...

Well pump [ 2 Answers ]

Today I had to repair a copper water pipe in my basement and had to shut off the well and water pump. I did so by unplugging the power cord from the pressure swithc to the wall outlet and then drained the system of water. Once my pressure switch dial read zero (0) I completed the repair (copper...

Well pump Question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping someone can tell me if I can have my pump replaced that is a submerged one, with one that sits in the pump house. It is located 100 feet away from well itself. My subm. Pump has died and I don't have a clue on them at all. I have looked at another but it is not submergible. Can...

Drilled Wire [ 1 Answers ]

I nicked an electric wire with a drill bit mounting a shelf on the wall, it blew a breaker. I have reset breaker and the circuit is working fine. Should I tear into wall and repair the wire? Thanks for any suggestions John

View more questions Search