Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dale coria Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Building a beam
    I have to replace a 20 ft beam that spans from gable end to gable end of a small barn. I want to make the beam. I am going to use 2by 10s and 3/4 plywood glued and nailed between them. Do the 2by 10s have to b 20 20 footers or can I piece them and stagger the joints?
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Aug 10, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Why are you replacing the beam? Have you fixed the cause of deterioration? Was the old beam constructed the same way? Did it do the job before it deteriorated? What kind of load does this beam have to support? Will an inspector see it?

The beam you describe will not support much of a load. It will support itself, and maybe a jolly jumper. :) Even if you used full-length 2x10s the beam could not support much more. The building code probably specifies 4 2x12s for that span. (just a guess)

Assuming you are satisfied the beam you describe will do the job, you can construct a new beam with 8' and 12' 2x10s. This will stagger the joints by 4" You can keep the joints in the plywood filler 2" away from the joints in the 2x10s. Use dry wood, the best quality you can afford. Make sure all the butt joints are tight. Use construction adhesive, and lots of #8x3 deck screws screwed from both sides. Use clamps so that the assembly is tight before driving the screws. If the joints are open, the screws may not draw the assembly tight.

If you could put a post under the middle of the beam, that would be better.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Dale posted this question twice, the other one was tagged onto another subject Dale had. I answered there and said not to splice the 2x10. You can spice 2x lumber in a truss but I do not think you can do this in a engineered beam. If we have any engineers who can answer this I would appreciate their help. Most of us here are not qualified to tell you tp splice a beam. I imagine you need a permit so ask your building inspector what he thinks.
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Aug 10, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Agreed. I posted this because he is replacing an existing beam. I have edited my response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Footings for a beam [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, I'm back. I have a quick question that I hope one of you can answer. I am trying to rebuild my deck. I have to redig footings for the beam since the previous owners did it incorrectly. I tried to dig the one on the end about a foot in but I got about a foot down and hit what seems to be a...

High Beam/Low Beam on 99 Durango [ 4 Answers ]

My headlights will only work on high beams. My sister owned the Durango before and said she had to mess with the switch from time to time to get low beams to work then finally stopped working. Anyone ran into this problem? I think its in the steering column. I've checked fuses and headlights. ...

Beam span [ 2 Answers ]

What is the usual span for two 2x8 nailed side by side. Im building a new deck 24' x 24' I don't know if I need this much support (2x8) nailed side by sdie

Beam Restrictions [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2" x 12" beams that make up the upstairs of my condo and was wondering what the furthest distance apart the load bearing walls that support the beams can be.

View more questions Search