Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slothbro1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 04:55 AM
    Cleaning business
    Me and my wife is starting up a small cleaning business we have got 10 years exp
    But don't know how to quote we have been offered a job it would take 2hrs to clean
    Have been asked to put in a quote but don't know where to start to write up a quote
    I'm thinking to charge $25 per hour plus $5 per for chemicals + machinery.
    How would we set the quote out and is this to charge per hour.

Any kind of help would great thanks slothbro1
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2008, 06:19 AM
    You have to decide... are you charging by the job? Or charging by the hour. If you are charging by the job and estimate 2 hours:

Labor $50
    Cleaning supplies $5

Total: $55

If you are charging by the hour:

Estimated time 2hrs.
    Labor per hours $25
    Cleaning supplies $5

Estimated Price $55

With the first option, if something unexpected comes up makes the job longer, you will make less per hour. However if you get it done faster, then you will make out.

With the second option you must charge less if the job goes faster. If the job takes longer you better be ready to justify the price difference to your client.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Create a letterhead with your business name, (ABN number if in Australia), address and contact details including phone number, mobile, email and website (if available).

(date)

Dear...

Then something along the lines of "Further to our recent discussions, we are pleased to offer the following quote to clean your... for two hours per (day/week/month/whatever) from (specify the date and time if already agreed to). Our service includes cleaning (details of the work you have been asked to provide a quote). The cost of providing our service is $25 per hour plus $5 for chemicals and machinery, being a total of $55.00.

(this is optional - you may like to add) Given our ten years of experience within the cleaning industry, we offer the assurance the contract will be completed to a high level of satisfaction.

Thank you again for the time and interest you took in discussing your cleaning needs with us. Should you have any questions to do with this quote, please phone me direct on (or by email or whatever)...

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

You might like to consider incorporating the $5 for chemicals in the hourly cost, making it a flat rate of $27.50 per hour for a two hour cleaning contract.

NOTE: if you are in Australia you need to say whether the cost 'includes GST' or is 'plus GST'.

Once you receive an acceptance, confirm your agreement in writing.

This is just one possible approach. You don't need to use the same wording or layout, just as long as you include the main pieces of information to do with the quote.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with it :)
    slothbro1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Hi do we charge more for weekends and pubilc hoilydays and if so how much more do we charge thanks slothbro 1
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis
    create a letterhead with your business name, (ABN number if in Australia), address and contact details including phone number, mobile, email and website (if available).

(date)

Dear .....

Then something along the lines of "Further to our recent discussions, we are pleased to offer the following quote to clean your .... for two hours per (day/week/month/whatever) from (specify the date and time if already agreed to). Our service includes cleaning (details of the work you have been asked to provide a quote). The cost of providing our service is $25 per hour plus $5 for chemicals and machinery, being a total of $55.00.

(this is optional - you may like to add) Given our ten years of experience within the cleaning industry, we offer the assurance the contract will be completed to a high level of satisfaction.

Thank you again for the time and interest you took in discussing your cleaning needs with us. Should you have any questions to do with this quote, please phone me direct on (or by email or whatever).....

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,

You might like to consider incorporating the $5 for chemicals in the hourly cost, making it a flat rate of $27.50 per hour for a two hour cleaning contract.

NOTE: if you are in Australia you need to say whether the cost 'includes GST' or is 'plus GST'.

Once you receive an acceptance, confirm your agreement in writing.

This is just one possible approach. You don't need to use the exact same wording or layout, just as long as you include the main pieces of information to do with the quote.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with it :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 04:33 PM
    Is that $25.00 per hour for each of you separately or what you will split between the two of you? It would also help to know the location where this work will be performed because the prices will vary greatly because of the location.

Thanks!
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2008, 05:46 PM
    hi do we charge more for weekends and pubilc hoilydays and if so how much more do we charge thanks slothbro 1

Hi slothbro1,
    As Clough suggests, pricing will vary from place to place and you need to find out what is being charged in your area to set a competitive price structure. If you're new to the business, maybe set your prices a little lower to begin with. I know I would. Here's an example of what you might find:
    Maid to Clean House Cleaning Service - Schedules and Rates

You will need a good accountant for advice on setting up your business - someone who can advise you on tax laws to do with running a small business. Keep all your receipts from the beginning - including petrol, car maintenance, stationery, insurances, etc etc. If your earnings are below a certain threshold, you may not need to submit any records at the end of the financial year. If you get lucky and land a good contract within this current financial year, then you will need to account for everything. There's a lot you can claim back on taxes that your accountant can advise you on.
    HBF Posts: 86, Reputation: 4

Aug 20, 2008, 04:07 PM
    You should have a formal bid proposal to lay out what you will be charging on a monthly basis and what is included in that charge. If they ask you to do something that you didn't put in the bid, you can then get more for the additional item. It is best to charge per man hour, so if you have 2 people working for 2 hours each, that is 4 man hours. $25/per hour per man would leave you will $100. If you do this on your own, it would take you 4 hours to do as well, so you charge per man hour.

If you are unsure of how to write a bid proposal, you can get one at Start Your Own Small Business With Professional Business Forms And Support - Office Cleaning Bid Proposal

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Cleaning Business [ 10 Answers ]

I have started a new cleaning business. I have researched as many ways as I have knowledge to market my business. I have business cards, post cards sent to mailing lists, word of mouth, website, online yellow page ad and so on and so forth. I only have one client and can not figure what to do to...

Cleaning business [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting a new cleaning business and need to know what I need to do to get bonded

Cleaning business [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to start a cleaning business. How do I get started? INS. BONDS, LICENSE ECT.

Cleaning business [ 2 Answers ]

Im a young lady from nottingham and I want to start my own cleaning business asap but I don't have money. I have heard that you can start by just getting your cleaning products. Is this true? Could any 1 give me a number for any where that could help me? Please let me no bearring in mind I'm rom...

View more questions Search