Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjw987 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 03:01 AM
    110v vs 220v
    I have a 220v line run from my house to an outside spot. The line was originally used for a lake pump which has been removed. I would like to extend that power line to 2 new outside outlets. Both outlets may be used for either 110v or 220v devices. Can I use the already existing 220v line or is it necessary to have both a 110v and a 220 v line? Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 04:19 AM
    You will need separate lines, they can't share anything except for ground.
    GermanDAWG Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 05:24 AM
    It depends on the number of conductors (wires) you have. If there are only 2 0r 3 wires then you have a 220 Volt circuit with a ground (in the case of three wires) and without a ground if you only have 2 wires (not common). If you have 4 wires then you most likely have a 120/240 volt circuit because the 4th wire is most likely a nuetral (not a ground wire).

If you have 3 wires it may be possible to use the third wire as a nuetral and drive a ground rod at the site where you have the outlets. You would then need to connect a grounding electrode conductor to the ground rod. It would be best if you placed a subapnel at the sight and used breakers to protect the outlets, wiring and devices from over current. Your homes service is nothing more than a 240 volt circuit that has a nuetral wire so that you can attach 120 volt devices to it.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 12, 2008, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanDAWG
    It depends on the number of conductors (wires) you have. If there are only 2 0r 3 wires then you have a 220 Volt circuit with a ground (in the case of three wires) and without a ground if you only have 2 wires (not common). If you have 4 wires then you most likely have a 120/240 volt circuit because the 4th wire is most likely a nuetral (not a ground wire).

If you have 3 wires it may be possible to use the third wire as a nuetral and drive a ground rod at the site where you have the outlets. You would then need to connect a grounding electrode conductor to the ground rod. It would be best if you placed a subapnel at the sight and used breakers to protect the outlets, wiring and devices from over current. Your homes service is nothing more than a 240 volt circuit that has a nuetral wire so that you can attach 120 volt devices to it.
    GermanDawg, Never,ever, tell someone to drive a ground rod and use it for the equipment

Grounding conductor of a circuit. If the (hot) conductor of the circuit faults to a ground rod,

The circuit breaker will never trip, leaving all the metal parts energized and ready to kill

Someone. A GROUND ROD WILL NOT CLEAR A FAULT.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Aug 12, 2008, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by benaround
    If the (hot) conductor of the circuit faults to a ground rod,

the circuit breaker will never trip, leaving all the metal parts energized and ready to kill

someone. A GROUND ROD WILL NOT CLEAR A FAULT.
    Sorry about this slight derailment of the thread but for my own info please explain this.
    I would think that a low resistance path to earth would result in an increase of current flow which in turn would trip the breaker. If I'm missing something please point it out.
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 12, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tev
    Sorry about this slight derailment of the thread but for my own info please explain this.
    I would think that a low resistance path to earth would result in an increase of current flow which in turn would trip the breaker. If I'm missing something please point it out.
    Tev,

A lot of people wrongfully believe the same thing. Electrons leaving a power supply are

Always trying to return to the same power supply, they are not trying to get into the earth.

The equipment grounding conductor ( EGC ) in a circuit bonds all the metal parts, i.e..

Boxes, pipe, enclosures, etc. to a low impedance path back to the Grounded Conductor

( neutral ) this path ensures that the fault will be quickly cleared by the circuit protection

Device. ( circuit breaker )

An example: a 120vac fault to the earth of 25 ohms will only draw 4.8 amps, not enough

To trip a 15a breaker. Tev, I hope this helps- if not tell me , OK
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Aug 13, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Yeah... having a low impedance fault current path from metal parts to the power source will ensure a line to case fault will be cleared. The earth is not a low impedance fault current path. See 250.4(A)5
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Aug 13, 2008, 09:32 AM
    In other words, I agree with benaround--I think ;) Joke!
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Aug 13, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benaround
    Electrons leaving a power supply are

always trying to return to the same power supply
    Doh, that's the part I was not putting together. I knew that but for some reason it didn't click that the more earth between the fault and the grounding electrode the higher the resistance thus making the earth an ineffective fault current path.

Quote Originally Posted by Washington1
    The earth is not a low impedance fault current path. See 250.4(A)5
    And thank you for making that connection in my brain easier.

I appreciate the lesson gentlemen. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

220v to 110v [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing an electric stovetop. The one I removed had 4 wires.. red, black,white, and bare copper. The new one has 3.. black, red, and bare.. from what I have read here, the old system is a 220v/110v system... I assume that I hook up red to red, black to black, bare to ground. How...

110v vs 220v [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a cell phone that requires for 220v that I bought from the philippines. Is it okay if I plug the charger to a 110v here in the u.s? Would it damage the cell if charger is plug to110v? Thanks for your help. Marcia

What is better to use 110V or 220V? [ 2 Answers ]

What is better to use 110V or 220V?

220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire a 220v circuit to accept a 110v plug and play spa?

Is 220V better than 110V? [ 5 Answers ]

My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient. Would I see a savings on the electric bill? Is this true? The wires now are 12 gauge. Could I just change the breaker and the...

View more questions Search