Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peteza Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2004, 04:39 PM
    Internet access
    I have a small network of 8 computers running Windows XP home edition and connected to the internet using my telephone company's DSL service. Each computer has an individual's e-mail account using Outlook Express so I need internet connection for this function. What I want to do is prevent certain computers from being able to surf the internet through IE or anything else. I tried deleting the Temporary Internet Files folder but WinXP won't permit that. Any ideas? Thanks.
    fuddy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2004, 12:34 AM
    Re: Internet access
    Hello Peteza,

If all the computer on the network connect to a router, you can block specific ports, which relates to specific program access. For example, HTTP access typically use port 80 to fetch website and Email uses port 110 for incoming (POP3) and port 25 (SMTP). You can try to block port 80 on your router and that should stop them from getting HTTP traffic.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet URL Access [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I have one computer, 450 MHz Pentium, running IE 5.50 sp1, that won

Internet access [ 9 Answers ]

Hi AOL v9 using xp does not install files to connect to service when requested No AOL browser visible Ta Norm

Hacker internet access question [ 8 Answers ]

Can a hacker gain access to my computer and use it to access the internet through my ISP?

Internet access using a router. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home network with 2 computers, both using windows 98se. I use a router to connect both computers to the internet, however, the secondary computer can no longer access the internet. I have a connection between the 2 computers but no internet connection only on the second computer. What...

Mobile internet access when travelling [ 2 Answers ]

My aunt (canadian) will be travelling in the usa for the next year in her motorhome. She wants to be able to access the internet using her laptop. She's not totally comfortable yet with using a computer or the net. I want to know how I can help her prepare for mobile access while she's in the...

View more questions Search