Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dml_4122 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 11:21 PM
    Michigan State Law Business Free Alcohol Distribution?
    I work for a national brand hotel chain in Michigan. Right now there is a convention in town and my manager has set up tables in the lobby with FREE cans of beer available for the 'guests of the convention' but they are there 24 hours and nobody is taking identification to see if the drinkers are of age. Any guest or person who walks into our lobby at any time has access. I know you cannot even SELL alcohol in Michigan after 2:00am. This just seems illegal to me and I don't want to be the one who gets some huge fine if police happen by and I'm the one working the desk! So my question is: Is it illegal to distribute free alcohol in a place of business in Michigan? Especially when the distribution isn't being monitored?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dml_4122
    I work for a national brand hotel chain in Michigan. Right now there is a convention in town and my manager has set up tables in the lobby with FREE cans of beer available for the 'guests of the convention' but they are there 24 hours and nobody is taking identification to see if the drinkers are of age. Any guest or person who walks into our lobby at any time has access. I know you cannot even SELL alcohol in Michigan after 2:00am. This just seems illegal to me and I don't want to be the one who gets some huge fine if police happen by and I'm the one working the desk! So my question is: Is it illegal to distribute free alcohol in a place of business in Michigan? Especially when the distribution isn't being monitored?

It IS illegal to provide alcohol to minors and it sounds like no one is getting proofed - you would have to contact either the Police or the Michigan Alcohol Control Board.

I can find nothing about "free" alcohol, other than at private parties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Michigan law about moving out of state with child [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a child but I'm not with the dad. We were never married and never been to court over custody or anything. He gets her 50% of time and that's it. He believes that since he gets her 50%of time that he doesn't have to help anywhere or with anything else which is fine if he wants to be like...

State tax for CPT in NY and school in Michigan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student from India on the f-1 status.I went to school in Michigan in 2007 and worked in NYC on a CPT in the summer of 2007.I am confused about which states do I need to file state taxes for? 1.Do I have to file taxes as a Michigan resident or a non -resident(Since I am not a us...

Michigan (MI) state tax return without SSN/ITIN [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was married in 2007 and my wife is still in India. I am planning on filing 2007 tax returns as 'married'. For US tax return, I have found out that I can file along with W-7 form for my wife (requesting ITIN). I am not sure about Michigan (MI) state return. Can I file MI state return...

Alcohol delivery business [ 16 Answers ]

I want to start an alcohol delivery business, is any body can tell me the legal aspect of starting an alcohol delivery business?

Michigan law- minitort on a state owned vehicle [ 3 Answers ]

I got hit the other day, she was at fault, but she was driving a minivan with a state owned vehicle license plate... now they're saying that even though she was at fault, I have to pay for my deductable and her insurance company doesn't have to.. kind of weird.. any ideas?

View more questions Search