Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sushiq54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Restoring old corian countertop
    Hello I am new to this board, bt not afraid to tackle any home project,so here goes. I have corian countertops(white) that were installed approx. 20 years ago. The former owner set hot pans on them and used some areas as a cutting board. Can theis countertop be salvaged in any way? Sanding, painting with apoxy paint, etc? Any help willl bw greatly appreciated. Thanks. Susan
    EMERIL LAGASSE Posts: 101, Reputation: 4

Aug 10, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sushiq54
    Hello I am new to this board, bt not afraid to tackle any home project,so here goes. I have corian countertops(white) that were installed approx. 20 years ago. the former owner set hot pans on them and used some areas as a cutting board. Can theis countertop be salvaged in any way? Sanding, painting with apoxy paint, etc? any help willl bw greatly appreciated. thanks. Susan
    U can sand it out
    U have to go through many grits of paper and finish with fine
    Good luck
    heaphy Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Sep 9, 2008, 05:12 PM
    A professional can improve the appearance of your countertops dramatically. If you want to try it yourself, you should use a professional grade random orbit sander attached to a shop vacuum. Start by sanding the hot pot marks and the badly scratched areas with 40 grit sandpaper. You will be able to remove the knife scratches unless they are very deep. The hot pot marks may go away entirely if the damage is shallow, but at the very least, the appearance will be improved. Don't bear down in just one area - feather your rough sanding over a large area. After you have finished removing the damage with 40 grit, move up the ladder to 60 grit, then 80, 120, 150, 180, 220, 280 and 320. Finish with 360 grit and/or buff with a Scotch-Brite pad. The finer sanding steps will go much quicker than the coarse sanding. You may want to use a countertop polish like Countertop Magic or Hope's Countertop Polish to finish the job. I do this sort of work for a living.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I cut existing Corian countertop [ 6 Answers ]

I purchased a replacement stove top. The opening in the counter is about 3/4 of an inch too small :( How can I cut the existing Corian countertop. My thoughts are: circular saw with a fine tooth blade, such as for cutting plywood. But I think this would generate great amounts of smoke etc. Or,...

Corian countertop [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find out how to repair my corain counter top it has a large crack. I have read about routing out 1/4" and how they have kits with glue and particles, BUT where can you get the kits?:confused: :confused: PLEASE HELP ME

Corian countertop [ 4 Answers ]

How do I repair a cracked corion countertop

Corian countertop removal [ 4 Answers ]

A friend has offered me his Corian countertops for my kitchen, if I come remove them from his kitchen. Do you need special equipment to cut Corian, or can you do it with a circular saw or reciprocal saw? Is there a certain blade type I should use?

Sanding Corian countertop [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find Corian refinishing kit?

View more questions Search