Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davepanesar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 05:52 PM
    Skip kinder
    Hello

My Daughter will be 6 in jan I was just wondering can she go to 1st grade she knows 1 to 20 counting in words,colors name in words ,days of week in words ,vowels and 3 letters word she can read 3 letters ,addition ,subtraction
    Now she is going to kinder this fall
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 06:02 PM
    You really would have to talk to the school and request for an evaluation before she could even be considered to skip a grade. Kindergarten is a lot about socializing and fitting into the school environment and so forth, so personally, I think it would be best to have her go kindergarten, 1st and then having her tested out of a higher grade school grade later.
    You should talk to the principal though before considering for or against anything.

Nowadays most 4 year olds do know many of the basics and she may not be all that ahead of what kindergarten is teaching. You might even try asking for a kindergarten curriculum to determine just how advanced she really is for it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 08:22 PM
    First there are many issues of the school system, to "skip" a grade many require testing that may have had to be done in the spring of the year.
    Also some require kindergarten and then skip first grade if they score in certain ranges on the end of the year tests.

So the first issue will be what the school system will or will not allow
    Luv2Dance Posts: 56, Reputation: 7

Aug 10, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Kindergarten is not a mandated grade... at least where I am... so that is something that you would have to take up with your school and your principal... and your child would have to be tested I'm sure.
    But as a K teacher, I really wouldn't recommend. Kindergarten is a year of social and emotional growth as well as independence. Your child sounds like a very bright kid. Keep in mind that at the kids by the END OF THE YEAR I expect my students to be reading more than 3 letter words... they can read small stories... I teach them about flency... blending sounds... rhyming... syllables.. etc. Math in addition to addition and subtraction is telling time, more and less, patterning... etc... There's writing, computer skills, phonics, science, soc. st... KINDERGARTEN IS THE FOUNDATION of a child's learning... I can't stress that enough.
    I would talk this over with your school principal and see what he/she thinks if you really think your child is ready to move forward.
    BEST OF LUCK to you and your angel!!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Also, Kindergarten will test and develop your child's social skills. I was a pre-K teacher and subbed for K, so not only, like Luv said, is K the foundation of your child's education, it is also the jumping-off point for social skills and making friends. As a nearly six-year-old, I had started school in second grade (skipped K and most of first) and was a basket case socially for most of that year, since all the kids were older than I was and all knew each other already. Almost every day for a while I came home from school and threw myself on my bed crying. Eventually, I "broke into" the social network, but it was tough going. Please look beyond the book-learning as you decide what is best for your daughter.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2008, 06:42 PM
    My son came out of kindergarten reading short stories, poems, and learned many sight words to keep him up on his reading. He came out of kindergarten knowing how to sit still right along side everyone else, or on his own. He came out knowing how to act in certain situations, sharing, showing his kindness, what is "right" and what is "wrong", he learned that there was a time and place for certain things, he learned about others and how to accept their differences... so many things happened in that year... they work specifically on certain things so they can succeed socially and academically. In my opinion, it is wonderful!

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to sue my kinder [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone help me, I would like to sue for defamation of character and I have written statements proving that certain people are accusing me of taking money off the premises of a kinder, even though I am the one who banks it, as I am the Assistant Treasurer.

Skip Level Meetings [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - this is 888444. Needed some information on the skip level meetings. What kind of questions/structure should one have while conducting skips? What is the process? What are the do's and don'ts of doing it? Regards

Kindergarten - attend or skip it? [ 2 Answers ]

We are in a custody battle right now between a father in Oklahoma and mother here in Texas. Neither state has mandatory kindergarten so the father wants to continue the current every other month visitation throughout the Kinder school year and then push for full custody thereafter. Of course,...

Skip a de nova trial [ 1 Answers ]

I went to an arbitration hearing for a credit card, I have a copy of a credit report which States paid- no balance. The arbitrator moved the hearing up after contacting all parties, And they all agreed to be there. The lawyer for the plaintiff no showed. Less than 30 days Later I got a...

View more questions Search