Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dren Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Adding name to deed, not mortgae
    I recently married. My husband owns a house in Virginia. I want to know if my name can be added to the deed, or title and not to the mortgage
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Sure, go a local title company and tell them you'd like to do this. It should be fairly inexpensive and then you'll know it's filed properly, etc. (Probably something like a "Quit Claim Deed" is what you'd do.)

That said, technically the lender could call the note due if there's a change to the title. Almost all mortgages have a "due on sale" clause. It basically means that if the house sells / changes title / etc that they can immediately call the note due in full. I've never heard of this happening on a performing note (meaning payments are current), but in theory it's a possibility.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a name to a deed [ 9 Answers ]

I live in New York, and plan to have my name added to the deed on my mother's home. This would mean that we both own the property, which is important since she is 81 years of age. I purchased a blank of the same type of deed which we have, but I need help completing it. What is the easiest and...

Adding name to deed [ 2 Answers ]

How do we add a name to a mortgage deed

Adding a name to a deed [ 4 Answers ]

I am recently marriend and wondering how to add my wife to the deed of a home I've owned for 3 years?

Adding a name to a deed [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if any one knows... if I add my domestic partner's name to my deed, will his bad credit affect my mortgage?

View more questions Search