Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CarolinNC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 03:41 PM
    160K in Debt!
    Hi... I am in need of some sound advise.
    I quit my job to open a business, which I funded with my personal credit and my credit cards. I took 40K in a personal loan and I have charged 120K in my personal credit cards - All the debt was in order to fund the business and make it work... now 6months after the opening day - business is still not producing, I haven't paid myself a dime and am not longer able to pay my creditors - as my reserves are all gone!
    I have contacted several Settlement Lawyers and the payments are too high for me $2500/month for 60 months. I need to support my family and I am afraid if I enter on a written agreement with a lawyer and I do not pay, I will be in a worst situation. I am afraid this is too big of debt for a CCC's... I am running out of ideas, so looking for someone that can help me.
    ladyjerusalem Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 04:33 AM
    I actually have found that you get more accomplished with a debt consolidation company than trying to negotiate on your own. I had a Discover card and they told me that they would not negotiate with me. I would have to have a company call on my behalf. When the company finally did call, they cut my balance by 40%, eliminated my late fees, and talked down my interest rate. I have to pay them a monthly fee, but it looks like it's more than worth it. I write one check to pay all of my bills and I saved a boat-load of money on my debt. I used DebtHelp4Women.com. Good luck!
    CarolinNC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Thanks, I have followed the link and will call one of the companies suggested!
    cheerry777 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 12:25 AM
    I'm going through a debt settlement company myself for about $90K. I'm using Debt Relief Options. Still in progress, so don't know what's going to happen. They said I need to stop paying the CC and default it before the CC companies are willing to negotiate. I feel pretty nervous about it because they're going to call my phone and put pressure on me to pay back. The settlement company charges 15% of your total debt to negotiate down by about 50%. (That's like $13,500 in my case)
    cheerry777 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 12:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyjerusalem
    I actually have found that you get more accomplished with a debt consolidation company than trying to negotiate on your own. I had a Discover card and they told me that they would not negotiate with me. I would have to have a company call on my behalf. When the company finally did call, they cut my balance by 40%, eliminated my late fees, and talked down my interest rate. I have to pay them a monthly fee, but it looks like it's more than worth it. I write one check to pay all of my bills and I saved a boat-load of money on my debt. I used DebtHelp4Women.com. Good luck!

I'm going through a settlement now. So I'd like to know more about the process and what to expect. How much did you owe? And how long was your process? Did you get numerous phone calls from the collectors who pressured you to pay? Did your credit score come back up after the settlement?

Thanks,

Cheerry
    busybee1530 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 12:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinNC
    Hi...I am in need of some sound advise.
    I quit my job to open a business, which I funded with my personal credit and my credit cards. I took 40K in a personal loan and I have charged 120K in my personal credit cards - All the debt was in order to fund the business and make it work...now 6months after the opening day - business is still not producing, I haven't paid myself a dime and am not longer able to pay my creditors - as my reserves are all gone!
    I have contacted several Settlement Lawyers and the payments are too high for me $2500/month for 60 months. I need to support my family and I am afraid if I enter on a written agreement with a lawyer and I do not pay, I will be in a worst situation. I am afraid this is too big of debt for a CCC's... I am running out of ideas, so looking for someone that can help me.
    Be careful of mst of the companies, I just went to ripoff.com and I discovered a lot about these companies even they have a good BBB grade and the others are calling themselves christian companies. They went to more debts. I am also seeking for a debt consolidation company but I don't know whom to trust. I e-mail the program of Zuse Orman to ask for an advise and referrals, and still waiting for the response. Anybody who knows a reputable one . Let me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Effects on Credit with Debt Not Paid at all VS Debt pain in Settlement [ 2 Answers ]

I lost like 140k in a home foreclosure. The first mortgage bank cancelled my debt and sent me 1099c. The second mortgage bank sold the my loan for $102,500.00 to debt collector. Now Saxon mortgage who currently owns my loan, is giving me an offer to settle with $5000. I can't come up with that...

Can Debt Collector Garnish Husband Wages For wife's Debt [ 3 Answers ]

Prior to even meeting my husband I inccured a credit card debt which I have since defaulted on. I just recently received a summons in response to this debt and am unable to pay the amount in full. Are they able to garnish my husbands check for a my debt as that I am a homemaker with no income?

View more questions Search