Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frebul9671 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Why is my dog afraid of dog food?
    I have a 3-year-old French Bulldog named Chunk. About two weeks ago, he had a little stomach bug and got sick several times a day. I was instructed by his vet to give him chicken and rice with supper. After he got better, Chunk would not eat his dog food. He walks up to his dish, sniffs it, looks into it, then jumps away like it spooks him. I've tried putting some kibble in my hand, on the floor, switching from Iams to Eukanuba, putting people food in it--he won't even eat the people food if it's touching his dog food. He's obviously lost some weight, but he's just his normal self aside from refusing to eat dog food--he doesn't appear to be sick at all. All I feed him is dog treats to wean him off people food, but it doesn't make him want to eat kibble, unfortunately. I'm beginning to think that he associates his dog food with sickness, because the last time he ate it he was throwing up and had diarrhea. I'm going to give this a few more days. I just got back from a weeklong trip (which I took him on), so I'm hoping he'll get back to normal. If not, I'll take him back to the vet to see what he recommends. But in the mean time, is there anything else I can try? I'm hoping he won't starve himself :( !
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Sounds like he relates his food to his stomach ache.

Aug 9, 2008, 03:00 PM
    That's what I think, too... do you have any suggestions?
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Aug 10, 2008, 08:50 AM
    I think he just got spoiled with people food because it tastes so different from his dog food. Our Rat Terrier use to eat her dog food so well. She is an outside dog and one day we noticed she stopped eating the Purina dry food we were putting in her bowl. I thought maybe she just needed to switch so I bought a different brand. When that didn't work, I started giving her wet food. She still didn't touch it. She wasn't losing weight though. Then one day I was standing at my laundry room window and noticed my little 80 year old neighbors come out of the house with a big bowl of left overs and dumped it over the fence for her. She gobbled it up like nobody's business. She is now a table scrap dog and is just as healthy as ever.

I think the jumping away from it is just a little fit he is throwing because its not what he wants. Do you usually give him people food when he doesn't touch his dog food? ;)

Aug 12, 2008, 08:50 PM
    Actually, the problem seems to have been resolved! At first, I switched bowls, but he still wouldn't go near the food. Then, I put his food on a plate on the floor, and he went right for it. I also put some gravy made for dogs on his food, as well as some dog treats (and just a bit of chicken) and he downed the whole plate! So I think he was just upset because he was traveling so much. So things are pretty much back to normal. Thanks for all your comments!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Food invention (registration of a food product?) [ 12 Answers ]

I have thought up a good idea for a new food product and would like to offer it to a company, but to do that (I was informed by my dad) I need proof that this idea is mine so no one can steal it and such, registration of a food product? I need to know how to go on to this. A website perhaps? Please...

I'm so afraid.is this possible [ 15 Answers ]

Is it possible to be pregnant if our organs doesn't meet at all? We only have oral sex? Because I'm 1 week delay.. and there's still no sign that my period will come. Please answer.. thank you

Dry food or wet food for puppy? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got an 8 week old Daschund puppy and I'm not sure if I should give him wet food or dry food? Thank You. :confused:

New food/old food/keep it the same or change? [ 4 Answers ]

Our cat has been acting a little weird lately, over the past week we have noticed that he doesn't seem to be eating the same as he did. Over the last week he will get excited that its feeding time, then I put his bowl down for him and he will lick his meat until all the jelly? Is gone off the meat...

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

View more questions Search