Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nate0902 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Drove Truck 1000 Miles Without Oil Cap
    I recently had my oil changed at Wal-Mart and they left my oil cap off. I did not realize this until I drove to Arizona from Colorado towing a Honda Prelude. Granted my truck has 170,000 but I was the original owner and never had to do any major engine repair. I took my truck to the shop because it was acting funny and they replaced the PCV Valve, plugs, coil wires, and distributor cap. After all this I was still having trouble starting my truck. After a few weeks of them not finding the problem my engine light came on, cylinder 2 misfire. They are telling me that I need a complete engine rebuild, is there any chance that this is from driving my truck without the oil cap?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 03:31 PM
    I did that too but for only half as many miles. I'm not an expert but unless it were in very dirty, dusty conditions, or if some freak object bounced into the opening, I don't think it would cause much damage.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 06:08 PM
    I would say that without the oil cap in place the worst that could happen would be some oil could blow out. Did you see any signs or get a low oil warning light?
    There is often some type of baffle inside the valve cover that is intended to prevent anything too large from entering the crankcase, however, I don't know what you're driving so I can't say for certain...
    Any starting problem would likely turn out to be either battery/starter issue, or fuel delivery related concern. A misfire on a single cylinder should be readily diagnosed by a competent tech with the vehicle right in front of him or her.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 02:36 PM
    What year, make and model are your truck? When they replaced the plugs, coil, wires & cap, did they also replace the rotor? If you're driving a GM, you may need to stick with OEM cap & rotor; I've had a few burn out prematurely. I can't believe you'd need an entire rebuild due to a misfire; I would get a 2nd opinion.

To answer your initial question, no, I don't believe this is due to your oil cap being off. As Rich said, you may have lost a bit of oil but that doesn't affect the firing in the cylinders.
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Aug 28, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Get a second opion that's for sure,get a compression test done also,that will tell you for sure if the # 2 cyl is shot,could be a burnt vale of rings on the cyl.They will have to do a dry and wet compression test to deterim this.As fot the oil cap not being causeing the problem,most unlikely.You mite have got a bit of dust in the crank case or lost a bit of oil.You could tell yourself if you lost oil out of the filler,oil would be all over the place, most vehicals have a shroud under the filler cap that won't allow oil to fly out of the hole,good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

90's TV show with a guy who drove a semi with a car in the back [ 3 Answers ]

There was a show in the 90's with a guy who drove a semi with a car in the back. I believe the semi and the car were both black. He was kind of a crime stopper. The guy was younger with dark hair and ice blue eyes. Can you help me! And it was not B.J. and the Bear!

I drove her away in the worst way imaginable. [ 3 Answers ]

Quick story here to precede my question: I had a friend who was also a mutual friend of my roommate. We had our ups and downs and were going through a trial where she wouldn't want to hang out with me at all, but would with him which was awkward, to say the least, as we both lived in the same...

10/100/1000 [ 2 Answers ]

After going through a parallel cable to transfer 7 gigs of data, I was very annoyed that it took 4 days @ 24hrs. Moving to the topic, I want to purchase a EtherFast® 10/100/1000 8+1 Workgroup Gigabit Switch How can I be sure that both pcs connect at 1000/2000 ethernet speed? I have a...

View more questions Search