Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Phonetec Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Can't format Hard drive
    Hi, Installed a different hard drive into my computer and it will not let me format it. When I get into my computer it shows it as my "C" drive. And that it is a 80 G hard drive, but I have doubled checked the hard drive and it is labeled as a 40 g hard drive. When I check the properties it shows no available space (free or used) Any suggestion on how to format this hard drive. Thanks Phonetec
    mrsfill Posts: 5, Reputation: -2

Aug 9, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Turn off your computer, turn on again and go setup, determine that your cd-rom is where you will download your information to your computer. Not the hardrive, or the floppy! Then you will go from that menu to f1 make sure you get rid of the partitioning that is why your hardrive is showing 80gigs instead of 40. When the menu comes up asking if you want to keep it, delete it. Make sure your windows xp disc is in your cd-rom before you start this and it should be OK. I just reformatted two harddrives a couple weeks ago. If you have any problems let me know and I will walk you through it.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Are you saying you just replaced your old drive with new one?

What drive does your computer boot to, D:? As you say that it is detected as c: and usually C: is your operating system.

A little confused by what you are saying you did and are trying to do.

Just need more complete info of how and what you did

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unable to partition or format hard drive [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Toshiba MK6014MAP 6gig hard drive that I am unable to partition, reformate, fdisk I am unable to do anything with it I have tried fdisk through dos and a windows98 bootdisc, I have tried partition magic, also ultimate boot cd, just about anything you can think of to no avail. The...

How to format hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Gateway desktop. How do I re-format hard drive? I get message saying it is being used by another application when I know it isn't.

How to format Hard drive? [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I was rebooting my PC, I entered DOS Prompt and format my other partitions except C:, which was when formatted answer was that it is used by other programs. If somebody help me out?

How do I format my hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have installed at moment a version of windows xp pro and it is in german I have acquired a english version called winborg allin one and it tells me to format before inserting the disc but when I click on the hd it comes up in german telling me something about closing windows but I cannot...

New Hard Drive Installation/Format for XP [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All. Hope you can help me. Ihave just installed a new 250GB hard drive. Can some one please help me on how i install windows ME. Ihave the hard drive set to master. Ihave also a floppy startup disk. hope you can help this essexguy. My home email is [email protected] Many thanks richardxx :)

View more questions Search