Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Abbi Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2008, 06:04 AM
    Flash Player
    On a couple of sites that I visit I am prompted to download Flash Player 9 but my computer warns to check out the site (Adobe) which advises to uninstall older versions before installing the newer one. I have two questions though : how do I know if I have an older version? I cannot find anything in Add Remove, and is it OK to install? From what I read it could cause problems
    Abbi
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Abbi -
    Can you play YouTube videos? These use flash, and if you can then you would know that you have some version already installed. There have recently been some malicious programs masquerading as flash player, so be sure to download it directly from Adobe's website.

If you have a previous version, I would think that any decent program would detect that and offer you an opportunity to uninstall it at that time. I just looked in my Add/Remove Programs list, and there is an Adobe Flash Player Plugin and an Adobe Flash Player ActiveX, so I guess you could uninstall these if they show up for you.

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    Bluehazel1953 Posts: 74, Reputation: 8

Aug 9, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Hiya Abbi
    Try the good advice given by Wally, but if no joy try this.
    Open up my computer> local disk>windows>system 32 folder>macromedia>flash, have a look in there for icons, either helper or utility. If they don't work uninstall and down loadagain. David

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...shockwaveflash

Aug 10, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyHelps
    Abbi -
    Can you play YouTube videos? These use flash, and if you can then you would know that you have some version already installed. There have recently been some malicious programs masquerading as flash player, so be sure to download it directly from Adobe's website.

If you have a previous version, I would think that any decent program would detect that and offer you an opportunity to uninstall it at that time. I just looked in my Add/Remove Programs list, and there is an Adobe Flash Player Plugin and an Adobe Flash Player ActiveX, so I guess you could uninstall these if they show up for you.

Best of luck,
    WallyH
    Wally
    I could not play You Tube Videos it said thet I either had Java script turned off or an older version of Flash Player, I also checked out Bluehazel's suggestion and found nothing, so I am going to download it, if I get into trouble you may hear from me again, many thanks to you both for your advice
    Regards Abbi
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 04:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbi
    Wally
    I could not play You Tube Videos it said thet I either had Java script turned off or an older version of Flash Player, I also checked out Bluehazel's suggestion and found nothing, so I am going to go ahead and download it, if I get into trouble you may hear from me again, many thanks to you both for your advice
    Regards Abbi
    Let us know how it goes Abbi. We'll try to help.
    WallyH

Aug 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyHelps
    Let us know how it goes Abbi. We'll try to help.
    WallyH
    Wally
    I downloaded Flash Pllayer and all is well no problem, again many thanks for your help
    Abbi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loading Flash Player [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a lot of trouble loading Flash Player. I tried to play videos on You Tube but it keeps telling me I need Flash Player

Flash Player [ 1 Answers ]

I Have been trying to load Flash Player with no luck At the moment I can't play any Videos Like the one's on You Tube it tells me Java is locked or load Flash Player Help

Can't download flash player [ 1 Answers ]

Any tips on how to download flash palyer?

Flash player [ 1 Answers ]

I downloaded flash player and can't find it anywhere on my computer. When you download it does it show in All Programs or where else could I look for it? I have 2 operating systems on here and I have downloaded other programs and couldn't locate them either.

Flash Player 8' [ 5 Answers ]

Every time I go to my mail receiving, mail sent, etc. I get this yellow pop up bar and the noise as well as it is annoying! On this bar is-- This site may require the following Active X control: 'Flash Player8' from 'macromedia,Inc. click here to install Does anyone know how to get rid of it...

View more questions Search