Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Has2LoseWeight Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 07:40 PM
    I need to lose half my weight (11 stone)
    I am female, 16 years old and weigh 22 stone. It is a ridiculous amount of weight to gain and I know that to lose 11 stone will take years but I am willing to try. I would like to know some tips on how to keep your mind off snacking on sandwiches and carb foods and also fizzy/soft drinks like coke and sprite etc. Because these are my major downfalls. Also tips on how to stay on track of dieting and how to get back on track if you do happen to slip off for a minute or two. Usually if I do exercise for a couple of days or so I tend to get pains in my arms and legs and also get tired what sorts of foods should I be eating (examples of foods, portions, time of days to eat, amount of times to eat and what is in them that makes them help would be good to know thank you) and of course I know water is the best drink and I will try very hard to stick to that.
    Thanks so much.
    Hope you have great answers that will help :)
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 9, 2008, 01:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Has2LoseWeight
    I am female, 16 years old and weigh 22 stone.
    So you weigh 22 x 6.36 Kgs = around 140 kilograms. That is called extreemly overweight and morbid obesis. You daily run the risk of heart faillure. How could you let that happen? At an average height of 1,8 meter your weight should not exceed about 83 kilograms or around 13 stone. (And at 1,6 meter this becomes 65 kilograms or 10 stone)

But let's stay positive : let's see what can be done :

I would like to know some tips on how to keep your mind off snacking on sandwiches and carb foods and also fizzy/soft drinks like coke and sprite etc.
    The only proper and really effective way is willpower. I do not know if you live on yourself or with others. If on yourself it is easier : SIMPLY DO NOT BUY THAT STUFF ! What you do not have at home, you can not eat nor drink in the weak hours...

Also tips on how to stay on track of dieting and how to get back on track if you do happen to slip off for a minute or two.
    I just replied to someone else with diet tips, so let me repeat these tips to you :

Losing weight means a negative result of the subtraction of calory intake less calory use each day.
    A woman requires around 1500 calories (a male around 2000 calories) per day to stay on weight. That includes EVERYTHING that enters your mouth!!

Even a cup of tea without sugar without milk contains calories!!

Your daily intake should include things like vitamins and other "musts" : you do NEED veggies, you do NEED proteins, and - yes - you do NEED some fat daily.

===

What you should do : make a list of EVERYTHING you eat and drink on a day. Including water (of which you should drink at least 2 liters each day).

Calculate from that list the total amount of calories entering your mouth.
    See where you can reduce that intake. Out goes chocolade, out go cookies, out go alcohol, out goes sugar, out goes cola and any other sweet softdrinks, out goes any fat (there is much hidden fat in foodstuff - more than enough for your daily intake). Reduce intake of other carbohydrates , INCLUDING pasta!! And no more quarter pounder burgers with mayo and chips on the sideline ! Forget the existence of MacD and BurgerKing ! If you ever want to eat a burger : prepare it yourself ! KNOW what you eat !

In stay veggies and some limited amount of protein. Eat daily a salade of lettuce , tomatoes, and cucumber. Eat daily at least 3 pieces of different fruits. An apple a day... And that is only on the intake side!!

===

Now the outgoing side :

While you reduce the intake of energy, you now also have to increase the loss of energy inside your body, and the only way to do that is by burning up fats and carbs.

START EXERCIZING!! Use a bicycle instead of your car. Walk instead of using other means of transportation. Go to a gym. In your spare time take up a delivery job : start delivering mail or advertising stuff : besides that it uses energy, it also makes you fit.

Make a list of all the things you do on a daily basis, and see where you can change your habits to one in which you use more energy.

===

People who run a (half) marathon eat the day before a pasta meal to get a lot of extra energy in their body to consume the next day. But if you eat pasta and do not run that marathon, you add another pound or so to your body weight.

The problem with dieting is that most people have no idea how their body functions and how and why they keep gaining weight. Now : at least I gave you the basics of that.
    It's up to you now to reduce that calory intake, and increase that calory consumption !

Success !

:)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 02:32 AM
    You can also try this:

- CHEW, CHEW and CHEW again when you eat food, until it becomes almost liquid. This will help evacuating calories by chewing, and also lengthen your satisfaction by having the food for a longer time in your mouth. If you swallow quickly, you lose that satisfaction also quickly.

- Eat more raw food. Raw food often take more energy to be digested than the amount of calories they provide.

- Eat more wholefoods, which contain lots of fibre (example:wholegrains along with wheat, oats, and rice bran, fruits and vegetables. Use a serving from each foodgroup for balanced meals and eliminate all free fats. Thus, it is easier to eat normally without sarving yourself. It was proved that extra fibre brings about a steady weight loss.

- Rest plentily, for if you go to bed early, you cannot temp yourself to eat and strengthening your willpower by being more rested. Avoid fattening, rich, spicy food which tempt you to overeat and avoid the use of too much salt.

- Can you replace your soft/fizzy drinks by herbal teas, lemon water and oranges? You can fast on these things for one or two days in a week. Fasting will kind of make your stomach 'shrink' and makes you satisfy with less food.

These are the methodds where you are less tired and spend less time, but some good physical exercise always do good, like Cred said. With this, good luck and I wish you success! :)

Aug 9, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Thanks so much for your answers. I know it is a ridiculous weight to be. I like the ideas of eating salad more and raw vegetables sounds good. To be honest I already eat all whole grain things (just a little too much is the problem) and besides crisps I do not eat chocolate or biscuits at all really. I think it just the bread and potatoey stuff because oddly enough my cholesterol is in the normal range (thank god) because I tend to eat chicken and fish more than anything. My main problem is portions and the amount of times I eat in a day. No I do not live alone I live with my parents (I am only 16 if you can believe it) So it does get hard. I have tried diets millions of times and they have worked its just I get side tracked and that's the problem no will power have you any tips on concentrating on the diet and keeping on track that would be so much help thank you.
    -

Aug 9, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Discuss it with your parents ! Make sure that the available food at home is of the right type (so no chips nor chocolate nor cookies nor sweet drinks like coke). What is not there you can not eat during your "weak" moments.

Over-sized food portions : during my visits to the US I always have been astounded by the restaurant quantities of foods served and consumed in one session by one person. But at home you can put less on your plate. Ask your mum to fill your plate in the kitchen with a half portion, instead of loading it yourself to the rim.
    And you can eat at a table, with the television off, together with the rest of the family, enjoying each others company. With real fresh home cooked food and no salty and fatty tv-dinners, or fast junk food.

Try it...

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 08:15 PM
    And at 16 ( well actually any age) but esp teens, you should be working with your local doctor to be sure that all weight loss is done in a proper and healthy manner
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Huh? Is it possible? What is your height Has2LoseWeight?

Hum... a rather far fetched idea came to me (no need to consider this). Can you do a medical check up? I'm asking that only because I have once seen a film on TV (Dr. House, yes!) where a girl was overweight not because of her diet but because of a disease, actually a miniature group of cancerous cells. It's not to worry you, but a medical check up is recommended, just in case, and it does no bad.

Aug 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
    I have been to hospital for other reasons but I might have Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and that could be the reason for my weight according to the doctor I have seen at hospital. And I am around 5 ft 7 roughly.
    -

Aug 11, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Hello again, Has2LoseWeight

5' 7'' = 1,7 meter
    22 stone = 140 Kilograms
    Your body index = 49 (extremely overweighted , morbid obesitas)

Further to previous posts :

1 - Enter less calories than your body requires to do it's normal tasks.
    2 - Increase the bodies energy consumption (more activities).
    3 - Change your eating and drinking habits.
    4 - As with stop smoking : if your brain is not with you, everything will fail.

Success !

Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 04:31 AM
    Thanks Cred for doing the BMI for me, just what I was pointing towards. My, a BMI of 49! I never expected that! I'm myself on the border of the twenties...

Ok, I did a little research on wikipedia (if you want the link: Polycystic ovary syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, wow, that seem to be a rare and dangerous disease. I suggest you consider our advice plus that of your doc and good luck to you. Get well!

Aug 12, 2008, 01:51 PM
    PCOS is quite common actually :) its not very dangerous it just means that you have cysts in your ovarys that can increase your weight and in some circumstances cause obiesity plus you can get medication that can prevent any symptoms :/ not that I want to be on meds. (im not saying that it has with me but it might have done because I don't eat really bad and up to the age of like 12 I was part of so many sports groups I did gymnastics, football, trampolining, tennis, I went to sports centres in the holidays, netball, swimming all at school and out so it couldn't have just happened in four years so quickly so easily) cause I don't eat any bad other that crisps and fizzy drinks and honestly I haven't eaten so many to gain like 11 stone :l but thanks for your help :) and concern.But lets hope I don't have it and can lose the weight through exercise and healthy eating and not the wrong ways. :/ like most people turn to. :) I'll keep you posted on any progress :P thanks again.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 03:46 AM
    Ok, I see you're not like the lazy fattys... that's very good, and continue doing your sports when you have time, and swimming I think is the best to reduce weight. Again, good luck!:)
    srcra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Hey 'Has2LoseWeight',

Couldn't help but reply when I saw someone had told you PCOS is rare and dangerous! It's not (as you know) - but the symptoms definitely improve with weight lose, as I have it and have recently lost weight and seen an improvement. You should be able to get an ultrasound scan to see the extent of the PCOS and see if there's any cause for concern.

Also, have you considered with your doctor the possibility of a thyroid disorder? An underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) could be causing the weight gain. You've probably had thyroid function tests if PCOS is suspected as they tend to run them at the same time (in the UK anyway), so this might not be the case - but if you did it would explain why it's hard to lose the weight.

Finally, as for diet - I've always found that people tell you to change too much at the same time e.g.. Drink 2 litres of water, exercise regularly etc. Though these are all good things, if you try and do too much too quickly you're more likely to give up. That's my experience anyway. The first week's always the hardest, but after that your stomach shrinks a bit and eating less becomes easier. I've found things like making yourself drink before a meal to fill you up more and snacking on dried fruit are helpful. If you have a weak moment try to do something else that you enjoy (easier said than done but you can try!). If you don't eat breakfast, I would really recommend it - they say that something like 90% of overweight people don't eat breakfast (don't quote me on the facts but it's something like that!), so there's a lot to be said for a good bowl of cereal in the morning! Little and often seems to be the way to lose weight.

Maybe take up swimming again? It wouldn't hurt your arms and legs so much (the water means it's very low impact), and I find it really rewarding because you start to be able to swim more lengths in less time surprisingly quickly! Plus after exercise you tend to stay on track easier because you don't want to undo your good work with over-eating.

Hope that's some help!

Aug 18, 2008, 05:29 PM
    I had a blood test done at the beginning of this year saying that I don't have any problems with thyroids or anything. But I have looked up PCOS and I believe (from knowing some of the symptoms that I may have it) But I am going for a Ultrasound test soon just have to wait for an appointment to be arranged from the hospital. And your absolutely right trying to change too many things is really hard and does put you off as you find it too hard. I drink lots of water and our fridge at home has always got tonnes of bottles of water but I just drink too many fizzy drinks too which is the problem. I absolutely love water but its hard to just stick to it alone. As for swimming me and my mum were going to go to a swimming pool that had a ladies night before but turns out they have gotten rid of it and I am just way too embarrassed to go swimming now. I plan to go if I lose a bit of weight first I know it sounds stupid but I don't think I have the confidence to go swimming again at the minute. I am 16 and can't bring myself to go swimming because I think that people will laugh at me or I might see people I know there and get really embarrassed so I know that swimming is out of my league at the minute. I just want to know different food options that will seriously fill me up but don't have as much calories or fats and salt etc (I already eat all wholegrain foods, and eat fruit and veg, Cereal is a bit of a problem though I recently tried it dried with some chopped strawberries and pears but surely there are other options that I could have different days too that are as good for you). Cos that is my problem not feeling full until I am too full. I have tried writing diaries of the food I have ate but it just doesn't help at all. Is dried fruit any better than normal fresh fruit? Or is fresh fruit good because I have strawberries and pears most of all. I feel that fruit fills me up for like a half hour to an hour and then I just get hungry, I don't know why.

Aug 18, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Thanks for your advice. I did a diet before where I would just have say 2 wheatabix and some semi- skimmed milk (I have never ever drank any other type of milk like full fat, only semi-skimmed or semi skimmed goats milk which most people think is gross but tastes exactly the same ) and then done say an hour of like a workout video and then after had two small slices of brown soda bread and tuna mayonaise and about 2 hours later had a big bowl of mixed fruit and then walked my dog for an hour with my dad and finally had dinner later that night with one piece of fruit after. That worked really well for the time I done it but its really tiring haha I think that's what put me off it a bit because I was so knackered but I at least went to sleep so much earlier at night at say half eleven rather than 3 and 4 in the morning which is ridiculous.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 03:49 AM
    There, there! I mentioned the PCOS like that because I never really heard of it, but from my research, this seemed rare (only 10% of America's it said) and dangerous (possible risks of cancer in the uterus, miscarriage, stroke, following the obesity). But thank you for telling that this is not as dangerous as it sounds.

Are you, Has2LoseWeight, considering to practice swimming again? Even once a week would help.
    arora1998 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 12:00 PM
    I am female, 16 years old and weigh 22 stone. It is a ridiculous amount of weight to gain and i know that to lose 11 stone will take years but i am willing to try. I would like to know some tips on how to keep your mind off snacking on sandwiches and carb foods and also fizzy/soft drinks like coke and sprite etc. Because these are my major downfalls. Also tips on how to stay on track of dieting and how to get back on track if you do happen to slip off for a minute or two. Usually if i do exercise for a couple of days or so i tend to get pains in my arms and legs and also get tired what sorts of foods should i be eating (examples of foods, portions, time of days to eat, ammount of times to eat and what is in them that makes them help would be good to know thank you) and of course i know water is the best drink and i will try very hard to stick to that.
    Thanks so much.
    Hope you have great answers that will help :)
    I have the same problem but I have a way, Try something new like cooking or baking and make healthy meals for yourself make sure they make a balanced diet,

1. it will take your mind of the fatty acids,
    2. it will make you healthy.

I know it works I'm trying it at the moment I hoped I've lost some weight,

The news says if anyone is overweight the council will take them away from there parents until they loose weight,

So bad for u, I'm not overweight
    april k Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Aug 20, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Well, since you mention PCOS- it occurs to me that on "The Biggest Loser" in the US, there was a woman who couldn't lose weight even though she did everything right, she couldn't lose weight. Her trainer figured out that she had PCOS and adjusted her exercise and diet accordingly, which finally helped her lose lots of weight.

Often, PCOS is caused by Insulin Resistance, which means your body makes proper amounts (or too much Insulin) but it isn't recognized properly and so sugar in the blood can't get into the cells where it belongs. Insulin Resistance can cause PCOS, and also high blood pressure, diabetes, and other things.

So... if you are Insulin Resistant, you've got to really watch the amounts of carbohydrates you eat, and also make sure you eat enough protein. The 'whole grains' thing, especially with packages foods pack in a lot of carbs! You're best off to stick with whole foods (which has been mentioned in other posts) and veggies. Also, you've got to make sure you're eating 3 times a day at least, or your body thinks it has to hold onto calories for survival.

There is more than just will power involved with this! And hopefully your parents will be supportive with dietary changes (it will surely help them as well!).

Exercise, of course if important, and the reason is, beyond burning calories, is that it helps your muscles become insulin sensitive, which helps blood sugar get where it belongs, which helps you lose weight.

There are 2 websites that I really like for learning more about PCOS and its implications: PCOS – Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and also http:/
    /www.pcosupport.org/ the website for the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Association.

Well, I hope this is helpful, and certainly, good luck-- and don't be too hard on yourself, you can figure this out!

April K

Aug 25, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Thanks. I've lost a stone since my first post on here so something is going right :)
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 03:47 AM
    Glad you did it in about 17 days! Don't give up!! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

23 stone and desperate to lose weight [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm a 30 year old female and I weigh 23 stone (blush) I'm desperate to lose weight, and I know I'm the only person that can do it, I know diet and exercise works but it's down to will power and being 'bothered' which I really am trying to get motivated for. Anyone got similar...

Healthy weight? Or lose weight? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to raise my fitness level and loose wieght around my stomach, and upper legs. Although my family and friends say losing wieght would be dangerous, but I think there just saying that. Im so confused, I see myself as overweight and my family sees me as fine. I hate being so self...

What is a stone = to in american weight [ 1 Answers ]

What is a stone = to in American weight?

I have lost weight but gained half of it back [ 5 Answers ]

I lost weight 70 pounds but it was because I was really stressed out at the time and really I don't know how it came off, but I was happy that it did. I tried to keep the weight off by eating better and getting a little more exercises than I normally would but Ive gained almost half of it back and...

View more questions Search