Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FLORIDA33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Buyer denied financing within 30 day period. Have not put in writing. Deposit mine ?
    Our buyer got denied financing of their FHA and conventional loan. They have not given us written notice in the 30 day time frame set by the contract. They want us to extend our contract t give them more time. Do we have a case to keep deposits ? If we sign the addendum. do you suggest we ask for at least half the deposit as if they do not get approval ?
    Thank you
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Forget it. A judge is not going to grant you a judgment giving you the deposit based on that. If the contract had not been conditioned on the buyer getting financing then you might have a case, but since your buyers had a contingency, and since they asked for an extension, you would lose if you tried to keep their deposit. The only way you would win is if you could prove to the judge's satisfaction that the buyers didn't try to get the mortgage or provided false information to the lender.

You can try to ask for the right to retain half of the deposit if you extend it and they still can't get a mortgage but I wouldn't count on that.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Are you using a realtor?

One other idea if you do an extension is to change part of the "deposit" to an option fee. They are basically buying a period to close the sale. If they close it goes towards the purchase, if not it's a fee they pay you for the time that the house is tied up in contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does buyer lose deposit? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, my buyer, a canadian buying a home in California, demanded a simultaneous 14 day loan contingency and escrow close. The buyer was approved for the loan but the closing monies never transferred to escrow because bank refused to send loan docs before closing monies was transferred to US...

She's mine all mine, song [ 1 Answers ]

It kind of an upbeat rock song and I'm not sure who sings it. Those are the only words I know lol

Auto financing denied [ 1 Answers ]

I recently took a car out of a dealer leaving downpayment, thinking that I was approved for the financing, but I just received a letter stating that my fanancing was not approved. What can happen now and what could I do?

Financing new car [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'd appreciate if some one can answer my question. If I need to finance new car, can I do it with the bank other than dealer offers? Does it affect the price of the car if I will finance with some one else?

View more questions Search