Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbrown65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Paying taxes on a house that was an inherited.
    My mom inherited a house from her parents and is selling it as the owner. Does she have to pay taxes?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Only if she is still the owner when the taxes come due.
    jbrown65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrown65
    My mom inherited a house from her parents and is selling it as the owner. Does she have to pay taxes?
    I'm sorry I should have said my mom and her siblings (5 total). If the taxes are due in Dec and the house sells in Sept , than they don't pay taxes (correct).
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 10:08 AM
    She should check with the county tax auditor's office and see if there is any tax owed on the home should it be sold in Sept.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 12:16 PM
    As far as real estate taxes are concerned, normally the tax bill is pro-rated so that the buyer and seller each pays for the portion of time they owned the house. At the closing one party reimburses the other for the portion of time during the quarter that they owned the house. For example, if you sell on October 31, and the next tax bill is due Dec 31, you would pay for the 31 days of October and the buyer would pay for November and December. Whoever manages the closing where you live (title company in some states, seller's attorney in others) figures the details.

The other tax that may be due are capital gain taxes. The cost basis for the house is the market value on the date that your mother inherited the property. So if she sells it for more than that there may be capital gains taxes due, unless she qualifies for an exemption (i.e, if she lived in the house as her principal residence for at least two of the previous 5 years she can exempt up to $250K of the gain). However, it sounds as if the house is currently jointly owned by 6 people, and consequently each will have to report his/her portion of the gain on their taxes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 8, 2008, 12:22 PM
    There are several taxes involved here. There are property taxes, Capital Gains taxes, mortgage recording taxes and several more. All but the Capital Gains tax should be taken care of at the closing. The attorney or title company rep will take care of this.

Each of the siblings will then need to file a form listing the sale with their income taxes. They will need to use the value of the property at the time they inherited it as the cost basis to determine the amount of gain (or loss).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on sale of inherited house [ 2 Answers ]

We inherited 1/2 interest in my husband's family home when his mother died in 1990. He sold his interest in the house to his nephew in 2007. Do we have to pay taxes on the sale?

How do I just buy a house paying back taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I just buy a house paying back taxes? What do I do to buy a house for just the back taxes?

Owner of the House Lost House While We're Still Paying Him Rent [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently going through a somewhat messy situation.. My husband and I moved into this house in Victorville about 2 and a half years ago. The house was perfect and the rent was suitable and our 5 kids loved the neighborhood and their new schools. Well about three weeks ago this man had came over...

Paying the Back Taxes on a house instead of buying it [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Tina from Missouri, My husband and I are looking to buy a house and I know there is a way that we can pay the back taxes on a house instead of the price they are selling it at. Where do I start, and what do I do. I have no clue where to look or who to talk to and if there are any...

Paying taxes on inherited annuity [ 1 Answers ]

My brother and I were beneficiary of an annuity. I understand we pay taxes on the taxable amount listed in box 2a of the 1099. My question is... do I treat this as income adding it to myearned income and possibly raising my tax bracket, or do I pay taxes based on the earned income bracket? ...

View more questions Search