Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 9, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    Year? Dare I tell? Oh what the heck, 1970. So, I'll be celebrating my 28th birthday for the 10th time this year. ;)
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear... 28 years young and already such a big...

Well... Uhmm...

You're in my little red book !

:D

·
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 07:12 PM
    August and September are busy months for the Altenweg family. My daughter turns 6 on August 26, my son turns 10 on Setpember 4. By the time my birthday comes around we're too exhausted to do anything. ;)

So, when's your birthday? Will you get to celebrate this year, what with the world ending and all? ;)
    -

Aug 10, 2008, 04:11 AM
    So, when's your birthday? Will you get to celebrate this year, what with the world ending and all? ;)
    Seems I just make it to that ! Some 2 weeks before "Z" day ! The 21' of August is the day I was born. 5 minutes passed midnight was the first time I informed people around me of my opinion(s)...

;)

·
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Aug 10, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Lots of fun here! As to the final question of the original post, any Sunday School junior knows that mankind is not going to destroy this planet, or themselves. The question is irrelevant.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 10, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Matthew 24:36-

Lets "see' if these Higgs boson is for real ;)

Aug 10, 2008, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Matthew 24:36-

Lets "see' if these Higgs boson is for real ;)
    Not sure what you are saying. That passage is not describing the end of the world. That is given here:

2 Pet 3:10
    10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
    (KJV)

And man is not going to do this. Jehovah is. And still it is not the end of everything, just a new beginning.

Ps. Don't worry about it. It will not happen for more than 1000 years yet.
    -

Aug 11, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    Not sure what you are saying. That passage is not describing the end of the world
    Indeed. And neither will heaven and earth pass away. Both will still be there, though earth (very unlikely) in a different - extremely compact - format.

;)

·
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 05:13 AM
    My guess is that the earth will be here long after humans have disappeared .
    -

Aug 11, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    my guess is that the earth will be here long after humans have disappeared .
    That is a near certainty. The question in this topic is only : in what format??

As an habitual planet where other lifeforms continue to live, as an in-habitual planet destroyed for most or all life by human made pollution and/or (military) actions, as an oven-like planet like Venus due to run out-of-hand warming up processes, or a human made small black hole due to human haughtiness and/or over-inflated ego.

:rolleyes:

·
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    my guess is that the earth will be here long after humans have disappeared .
    Until our sun goes supernova.
    -

Aug 11, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Until our sun goes supernova.
    Not really. The sun is not expected to go supernova, but calculations show that when she goes nova in about 4-5 Billion years from now, earth will be absorbed into the hot gas shell, resulting in total disintegration of everything on and in earth into atoms. All atoms will become part of the sun's core and/or atmosphere. And the parts that remains in the suns atmosphere will later - once the sun blows off it's shell - be on their way to manure the rest of our galaxy.

Happy journeys!

Note : still I thank inthebox for his entry. So far it was the only real religious touch to the topic question.

:rolleyes:

·

Aug 12, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Since this IS a religious discussion, you will forgive me if my input is Bible based, right?
    The scripture I gave above tells us that THIS world and everything in it will be burned up. The Bible tells also that there will be an new Earth, and that it will be inhabited by humans. Since you have absolutely nothing else to base any prognostications on, you are forced to consider that just such a future is coming.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Sorry Crev the world did end, and you are now in hell where everyone just beleives and there is no facts
    Or at least, everyone has their own facts.

This is a review of a book (My Facts, Your Facts) that says that more and more of us only listen to sources of information that tell us what we want to hear.

CJR: My Facts, Your Facts
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 03:36 PM
    How many times has the bible predicted the end of the world? How many times have we been told to kiss our loved ones goodbye because the end is near? Our kind, caring, gentle God will become angry and kill everyone on earth. Not the God I believe in.

The End Of The World - Bible Prophecies

Maybe the world will end one day, but in our lifetime?

And after reading the scriptures in that link, I am even more firm in denying the bible as the "word of God".

Just my take on it.
    -

Aug 12, 2008, 05:31 PM
    How many times has the bible predicted the end of the world?
    To be fair : most of the times that is brought up, it is not done so by the bible, but by humans interpreting the bible towards supporting their own ideas. Of course the lack of clarity, mistakes, and contradictions in the bible allow the blooming of misuse and misinterpretation.

Maybe the world will end one day, but in our lifetime?
    The world will end one day : that is a near certainty. But science tells us that that will take some 4 to 5 billion years from now. No need to worry now, I would say. There is more reason to worry about the end of our species, and about all life on earth. I am worried about the selfish misuse of our sole common spaceship earth. By all who cause all kinds of pollution on our planet, for the causes for "global warming" that are the result of human activities, and for scientific experiments of any kind that threatens the quality of life on earth, and/or earth itself.

And after reading the scriptures in that link, I am even more firm in denying the bible as the "word of God".
    You are free to believe whatever you prefer !

:)

·
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Most of the species that have ever lived are now extinct--99% by some estimates. No reason to think we will be outperform these other stocks. I think we should accept our own inevitable extinction the way we are told to accept death. (I haven't yet!) Of course, like everyone else, I'd like to put off human extinction as long as possible, for the sake of my kids and grand kids and, more generally, everyone in future generations. But at some level, we have to accept that humans aren't here forever. I don't think that's something most people think about much. It's fun to think we might colonize other planets and extend our existence by another billion years or so. But that's probably unlikely, isn't it?
    -

Aug 13, 2008, 12:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking
    Most of the species that have ever lived are now extinct--99% by some estimates. No reason to think we will be outperform these other stocks. I think we should accept our own inevitable extinction the way we are told to accept death. (I haven't yet!) Of course, like everyone else, I'd like to put off human extinction as long as possible, for the sake of my kids and grand kids and, more generally, everyone in future generations. But at some level, we have to accept that humans aren't here forever. I don't think that's something most people think about much. It's fun to think we might colonize other planets and extend our existence by another billion years or so. But that's probably unlikely, isn't it?
    Indeed. I doubt very strongly if that is likely. We are nearing a time when slowly but surely we will have to start better prioritize our human goals, in view of the available energy and raw material shortages.
    Inter-solar research and discovery will increase. But inter-galaxtic? I doubt that strongly !
    Too expensive in many respects, too difficult, too far, and too many problems with the consequences of relativity. Humanity has still not learned to really co-operate on a grand scale, and I fear that that will only happen when it is essential for survival of humanity as a species - when it is too late to be effective for sowing our species into the universe.

And religion is not something that brings humanity together neither - the reverse is more true!

The Captain Kirk's and Starfleet are science fiction and will remain being that - though often it is big fun to read, see, and dream about them...

:)

·
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Aug 13, 2008, 02:01 AM
    Does it really matter whether CERN blow us all up. Or some crazy with a nuclear bomb(s). Personally I've had a bloody good life, so far anyway, a few ups and downs, but overall, I am healthy, have a roof over my head, and a full (very full some might say) belly. A lot better than many.

At least if there is a big bang the bloody earth will move for my ex-wives... at last. (Thought I'd lower the tone of this thread)

Peronally I lok forward to hell, heaven strikes me as a quiet place very serene, take me to the party! Although, if everyone and his dog would wait until my granddaughter grows up a bit, much appreciated, TA!

Have a good life all
    -

Aug 13, 2008, 02:30 AM
    Cern would not blow us all up. It may implode us into something with a diameter of only several meters. It surely will not be a kind of Big Bang - would it ever happen, though the effect for all of us would be the same - almost total annihilation.

There is something to say for your preference for hell (if it exists). Most nice and interesting people would be found there...

And yes - we all want our offspring to have all the good of life too, as they seem the real and only way for (our) "eternity" !

Have a good life too, colbtech !

·
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Aug 13, 2008, 02:40 AM
    Well if the planet and everything on it reduces by the same amount, damn we're going to be very friendly. :D

Surely if heaven exists then hell must too? After working for 30 odd years for some real "works of art" employers, I think I'm in hell now! (without the parties)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Got this one today! [ 8 Answers ]

A 5-year-old boy went to visit his grandmother one day. Playing With his toys in her bedroom while grandma was dusting, he looked up and Said, 'Grandma, how come you don't have a boyfriend now that Grandpa went to Heaven?' Grandma replied, 'Honey, my TV is my boyfriend. I can sit in my ...

Verbal eviction to get out today given today? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend lives with a friend in an effeciance, Hes paid all his bill his rent, electric and water, and on Monday he was given a verbal eviction to be out by Monday the 19th and today his so called friend called and said that he had to be out by today with all of his stuff. I told him that I...

Today he saw me [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I and my boyfriend had a quarrel before 20 days... he has a jewellery showroom right in front of my house... he comes there everyday... last 20 days he didn't even look at my window... but today... when I was opening my cupboard I saw him staring at my window... he does not know the...

Today is the day [ 9 Answers ]

Well all today is the day and we'll be leaving for the hospital really soon. I haven't been able to sleep at all. I couldn't tell you what the emotions I'm feeling are, there are so many. I will make sure and post all the babies stats and pics asap, but don't hold your breath for it to be too...

View more questions Search