Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Aug 8, 2008, 12:41 AM
    Re-creating The Big Bang
    Morning All!

Has anyone else been following this story about the CERN Lab in Switzerland / France?

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Cern lab set for beam milestone

I love it when scientists mess around with stuff and they don't REALLY know what's going to happen... especially when they're talking about stuff like 450 gigaelectronvolts!
    :eek:
    Brilliant! Ha ha!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens... and secretly hoping a black hole opens up and swallows France! He he he! :D

Here's their homepage and the wikipedia page if you're interested!

I don't understand half of it... but fingers crossed it all goes well!

J
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 12:58 AM
    Hi, iAMfromHuntersBar!

Others from this site have been following the news concerning that. Have you seen what is on the following thread of this site?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/physic...th-246284.html
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Aug 8, 2008, 01:10 AM
    AWESOME!

Cheers Clough, I'll go chat about it over there then!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 01:17 AM
    I'm glad that you will! Didn't want to "burst your bubble" on the thread that you started, but just wanted to point it out that it's already being discussed.

I like the points that you have already made in your original post! :)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 04:43 AM
    The Collider will help us understand the nature of the atom and advance our understanding of the physical universe. Too bad our country is shortsighted . We cut off a project in 1993 near Dallas Tx after 14 miles of tunnels had been dug and $2 billion spent.

Typical of a gvt. Project it was drifting to costs well above estimated. However the idiots in Congress came up with the following brilliant justification for scrapping the project.

The project was canceled by Congress in 1993. Many factors contributed to the shutdown of the project, although different parties disagree on which contributed the most. They include rising cost estimates, poor management by physicists and Department of Energy officials, the end of the need to prove the supremacy of American science with the collapse of the Soviet Union, belief that many smaller scientific experiments of equal merit could be funded for the same cost, Congress's desire to generally reduce spending, and the reluctance of Texas Governor Ann Richards and President Bill Clinton, both Democrats, to support a project begun during the administrations of Richards's Republican predecessor, Bill Clements, and Clinton's Republican predecessors, Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush.
    Superconducting Super Collider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A blogger at fq(x)community writes that the collider could cause a time warp ripple that would shut it down before it completes it's task.
    FQXi Community: Articles, Forums, Blogs, News

One of the basic assumptions of classical physics is that time flows in one direction and that when describing a physical system one needs to know the equations of motion and the initial conditions in order to predict the future behavior of a classical system.

However, quantum mechanics changes this a bit. Classical mechanics can be formulated in such a way that one sets up an “action” integral. The solution to the physical system can be expressed as the path that minimizes the action integral. It turns out that in quantum mechanics one needs to not simply take one path—but take the sum over all possible paths. For example, if you want to work out how a photon gets from a lightbulb to your eye, you need to take into account not just its straight-line trajectory, but contributions of all possible paths it could have taken, including paths where the photon bounces round the room. It's a bit strange, but it seems to work and 60 years+ of detailed experiments have confirmed this description over and over again to remarkable quantitative precision.

The authors of this paper claim to show that other terms can be added to the quantum mechanical action that are consistent with current theory and experiment. However, some of these possible terms include conditions in the future that need to be taken into account and summed over. That is to say, what happens in the future could (according to this paper) affect what happens in the present.

Why the LHC? The authors argue that these sorts of time-violating interactions could be associated with whatever new particles we create at the LHC. For example, the production of a large number of Higgs particles in the future could have a backwards-in-time causal effect on the machine that produced them, stopping the machine from ever running.
    Now get this!! The authors (two well renown professors... Holger Nielsen, of the University of Copenhagen, and Masao Ninomiya, of Kyoto University ) argue that the shut down of the TX collider could be evidence of this hypothesis.

As possible “evidence” for such a backwards-in-time effect, the authors cite the now-canceled Superconducting Super Collider (SSC)—a particle accelerator that was meant to hunt the Higgs and was partially constructed in Texas before Congress pulled the plug on the project. As the authors write in their paper: “Such a cancellation after a huge investment is already in itself an unusual event that should not happen too often. We might take this event as experimental evidence for our model in which an accelerator with the luminosity and beam energy of the SSC will not be built.”
    It's as though the Higgs plays the role of the time traveler who goes back to the past and murders his grandfather, thus preventing his own birth.
    lol... that's what passes as serious scientific theory today.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Aug 8, 2008, 05:21 AM
    ·
    Have a quick look here... it could be your last chance to see it... :D

YouTube - The CERN black hole Déjà vu

:rolleyes:

·

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Furnace bang bang [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas furnace that is about 10-11 years old that when trying to turn on, will go through a series of 6-7 "bang-psss, bang-psss..." before shutting off. I assume this is the furnace trying to ignite, and I didn't want gas accumulating, so thought I'd look around before making a call. ...

Bang bang [ 4 Answers ]

Please what do I tell my hair dresser so she gets it right this time. I want the cute side bangs. If anybody has these please tell me what to say to her. And why do I feel so bad and not say anything when I do not like it or it is not right. I want the big side bangs the thick ones not these tiny...

Big Bang [ 7 Answers ]

What proof is there that the universe began from a big bang I know it's expanding but what else?

Big bang [ 2 Answers ]

Why does my furnace puff loudly when first ignighting? It's a natural gas Hydro Therm with two burners. The pilot seems to be resting close to the primary burner? Help My furnace seems to let out a loud pop when ignighting it's a natural gas two burner Hydro Therm pilot seems to be close to...

Bang Bang Bang! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, thanks for reading and double thanks for replying! When the cold water valve is turned on in my bath tub, a very loud and rapid banging sound can be heard through out the house. It sounds like an MG42 machine gun, or even like a WW2 anti air flak cannon! The sound goes away as soon as the...

View more questions Search