Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hibusymom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 04:13 PM
    3 Genius
    Three geniuses stand in a file (one behind the other). Each can see only to the front, so the rear person can see the middle and the front, the middle person can see the front, and the genius in the front cannot see anyone.

You have five hats. Two are white, and three are red. You blindfold the three geniuses, who are utterly truthful, and put a hat – at random – on the head of each. Then you hide the other two hats and remove the blindfolds.

You then ask each genius to name the color of his hat (which he cannot see).

The rear one says "I don't know." The middle on says, "I don't know." Then the front one says, "I know."

WHAT COLOR IS THE FRONT GENIUS' HAT??
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 04:27 PM
    Red.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 04:33 PM
    I'll have to think about this one for a while, I'll get back to you. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 04:36 PM
    I guess I should explain! Lol

The third genius doesn't know what color hat he has on... that means he is not looking at two white hats, he is looking at either two red hats or a red and white hat.

The second genius knows that the first genius didn't see two white hats, so if he looks and sees the first genius has on a white hat, he will know he has on a red hat. But, he doesn't know what color hat he has on.

So, the first genius figured all of this out, and he knows the first genius saw a red and a white hat, he knows that the second genius didn't see a white hat, or he could have solved the puzzle, so the first genius has on a red hat.
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    I guess I should explain! lol

The third genius doesn't know what color hat he has on...that means he is not looking at two white hats, he is looking at either two red hats or a red and white hat.

The second genius knows that the first genius didnt see two white hats, so if he looks and sees the first genius has on a white hat, he will know he has on a red hat. But, he doesn't know what color hat he has on.

So, the first genius figured all of this out, and he knows the first genius saw a red and a white hat, he knows that the second genius didn't see a white hat, or he could have solved the puzzle, so the first genius has on a red hat.

Hee, hee, surprisingly enough, that made sense. ;):)

I think I'll go with Choux on this one. Red. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Lol... that was fun.
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Choux, if you like things like this, Sneezy has a few interesting "What am I" threads. Here's a link to one of them. The answer has been given, but it's still fun to guess. :)

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/humor-...-a-246219.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie with a kid video game genius (mostly super mario brothers)? [ 3 Answers ]

There is an 80's movie where a kid is fantastic at games... he plays (I think) super mario 3 at a tournament and uses the wings to kick the crap out of everyone... and I think he uses the warps, too... but I can't think of the name of the movie... anyone know?

How to be a Computer genius [ 1 Answers ]

What does it take to be a computer genius assume the person is a beginner and how can someone be a computer genius.

Honda genius [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 91 CRX Si that until now it’s been the perfect car! I’ll describe the problems. I don’t know if they are related, but I’m starting to think maybe they are (in some strange way). About a year and a half ago I went to start it up. It fired right up like usual but then just stopped and...

View more questions Search