Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apple_bee Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Aug 7, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Anxiety disorder, social awkwardness
    For the past few months I have been becoming more and more socially awkward. I fear that I am suffering from a mental illness, possibly Anxiety disorder, but I am looking for another opinion.

Symptoms:
    -If someone that I don't feel completely comfortable around asks me to do something I over analyze it, plan out what I will say, and dread the "awkwardness" that might come up. Sometimes I just make up an excuse so that I don't have to see them so that I can avoid this "awkwardness"
    -I usually wonder to myself if the other person is feeling "awkward" and if they feel comfortable in the situation
    -I feel like everything I say is extremely stupid, and regert saying things

I have had a episodes which I believe are panic attacks...
    -I start to cry
    -Troubles breathing
    -I don't feel like myself
    -I don't want to be alone
    -I get terrified

The weird thing is that when the episode is over I question myself as to if it was "real"

I don't understand what is wrong with me, I am too scared to go to a doctor, because I don't know what I would say, and I don't feel comfertable around my parents to tell them what I have been feeling.

Does anyone have similar issues, or an idea as to what this might be?
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Aug 7, 2008, 04:14 PM
    I have anxiety and some social anxiety as well.. not as bad as you but I have a hard time interacting with people in a large group and if I'm the only one talking, forget it, I freak out..

My main problem with anxiety was as a whole, which was basically that I worried about everything imaginable all day every day and it consumed my life and I felt a prisoner to it.. it's a really horrible existence..

So, I went to the doctor, got started on anxiety medication, and have been taking it for several months, and it's helping a little, it kind of takes the edge off, and I am also talking to people, expressing my feelings and am going to Al-anon and working the 12 steps.. can't tell you how much Al-anon has already helped me..

Aug 7, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Thank you.
    I know what you mean with the worrying about everything, I guess that would be another symptom.

I just hate feeling this way, and I'm sick of making excuses so that I can't go out with friends.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 04:46 PM
    You didn't mention your age or social status... that is married with children, employed, student. That is very important.

PLease supply this information. Just a caution in case you don't reply... don't talk yourself into being mentally ill! You *may* just need some life coaching to help you function socially.

Aug 7, 2008, 04:57 PM
    I am 17.8 years old. I have a boyfriend who I have been dating for 2 years
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Ok, you have to get some help to deal with your problems right away... hopefully, your parents are smart and caring and can give you support. You don't want these feelings of incompetence to go on any longer and get entrenched. Some feelings might be teenage confusion, but there is a touch of losing yourself, your identity.

Are your parents smart and caring, can they get you to a good therapist so you can talk about this sudden downward turn in your confidence? Do you think that graduating from high school has has this effect on you? Did you graduate or do you have another year? Is your boyfriend becoming a bad influence on your psyche because of sexual demands?
    Eileen2005 Posts: 49, Reputation: 8

Aug 8, 2008, 06:22 AM
    I agree that you should do something about it as soon as possible, otherwise it might stay with you. First you need to find where the problem is. Has something happened that makes you feel uncertain about yourself? Any "failure" that made you feel less about yourself? You might also see a physician for a physical, some times change in diet or hormones can cause such feelings. Try to stop fortunetelling (predicting the future) for a situation. Be yourself... does anyone compare you to others? Does anyone criticize the way you speak or behave socially? I am trying to find the reason.

Aug 8, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Well to be perfectly honest, my parents aren't the type of people to seek help for me. I know they love me, but they don't show a genuine interest, and aren't the kind of parents you can talk to about these things. My boyfriend doesn't try to have any kind of sexual contact with me, he respects me. I have been trying to find the reason after hearing some of these responses and I can't really think of one. I am not satisfied with my weight, but I don't think that could trigger this intense of a problem. I was wondering how I could go about solving this problem without including my parents. I would like to do it on my own because I don't feel comfortable talking to my parents about this... As I don't feel comfortable doing a lot of things.

All of your answers are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    brennlee Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2008, 06:54 AM
    The first time I had a panic attack I thought I was having a heart attack. I was in my late twenties - but have come to realize I have always had anxiety issues, even as young as you are and did not recognize the symptoms until I was older. It can be a very scary, even emotionally crippling. Medications do help, I believe... but also understanding and learning how to come out of an attack, or even how to deal with the onset of one helped me so much more. IT still happens but not any where near the frequency that it did. Meditation, yoga, relaxation techniques, you might find all to be helpful. Good luck to you, I hope this helps a little.

PS

I think stress played a big part in the first time I realized I was having these attacks. I was not getting enough sleep, and going through a bitter divorce. But, at the time I could not justify a reason for it, and looking back to when I was your age, I couldn't pin point anything for then, except that I was not very comfortable in many social situations. I was incredibly shy, and not very close to my parents at the time as well. Do you have anyone you can talk to about it besides your parents or boyfriend?
    polska Posts: 33, Reputation: 6

Aug 11, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Definitely don't talk yourself into being mentally ill. Get involved with some healthy things. Medication does help but don't rely on it for a complete fix. Find some stress relievers. Meditation, working out, counseling... Alanon, church groups, It may take some time but you will get better. I have been in Alanon for 4 months and it definitely helps. You might have to try a few different groups before you find the one you like so be patient. Come to this site as often as you want. This site has helped me take great strides in healing from anxiety and depression. I might also recommend Land Mark education.
    Check it out! Landmarkeducation.com I believe. There are so many ways to transform your life.

Good luck!
    saram0nst3r Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 04:59 PM
    I have generalized anxiety disorder. I went to my university's counselor and he gave me a self-help book to help me work through each situation as it came up. If you find yourself avoiding a situation or becoming obsessed with what people are going to think of you in different situations that may happen, you should go to a book store and find an anxiety-related self-help workbook. Be patient. It takes time to work through such an issue. Always remember that if you were ever in an emergency situation, people are there to take care of you.
    Angelinemantle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2012, 03:36 AM
    Oh my god, this is exactly like me! And exactly the same symptoms and I don't want to talk to my parents or counselor about it, I'm only 14 :/
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
    Hello Angeline,
    Along with what you have read here, you may get some new and different, even more helpful answers if you start a new thread. Simply go to the top of the page where you see ASK.
    This is an older thread and it would be helpful to the members here to be able to address your particular situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Anxiety. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 23. Also a university student and I have a good job. For the past 2 years, I discovered something about myself that I wish I hadn't uncovered. One day, I pretty much fell into a deep hole of loniless. I did not want to speak with anyone I knew and I wasn't living with my family. The...

My son has bipolar/physcioaffective/ocd/social anxiety disorder/manic depressive [ 7 Answers ]

I am just looking for someone who I can converse with who is experiencing or has experienced the same thing I am going through as a mother. My son, 23, was diagnosed last year with bipolar, psycho-affective (associated with schizophrenias), social anxiety disorder, manic depressive, and over...

Have anxiety disorder [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have had anxiety for 5 years now, icant go anywhere from my home and its getting worse. I want to know my future what will happen? Thanks

Social Anxiety/depression [ 30 Answers ]

I'm 16 and have been dealing with severe social anxiety for about 10 years. It has turned into social phobia. I can't go anywhere by myself. I avoid going to school because I can't stand being around others. I think some of it has to do with being sexually molested by my brother for 2 years. ...

Teen With Anxiety Disorder [ 16 Answers ]

OK, so I am a teen (not old enough to be prescribed Alprazolam ) and I have a REAL bad case of anxiety disorder, now I have tried all the child anti-anxiety medication imaginable, and NOTHING! Breathing Into a bag does not help at all anymore, trying to relax does not work, all of the therapeutic...

View more questions Search