Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mona66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Veteran Disability
    Hello,
    Can Veteran Disability income be garnished for child support?
    I have a court order for child support but the father refuses to pay?
    Can I have his income garnished?
    Thanks for any help.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Here is what I was able to find for you:

US Code Title 42 § 659.
    Consent by United States to income withholding, garnishment, and similar proceedings for enforcement of child support and alimony obligations
    (h) Moneys subject to process
    (1) In general
    Subject to paragraph (2), moneys payable to an individual which are considered to be based upon remuneration for employment, for purposes of this section—
    (A) consist of—
    (ii) periodic benefits (including a periodic benefit as defined in section 428 (h)(3) of this title) or other payments—
    (V) by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs as compensation for a service-connected disability paid by the Secretary to a former member of the Armed Forces who is in receipt of retired or retainer pay if the former member has waived a portion of the retired or retainer pay in order to receive such compensation;
    US CODE: Title 42,659. Consent by United States to income withholding, garnishment, and similar proceedings for enforcement of child support and alimony obligations

I will edit to include the other portion:

US Code Title 38 § 5307.
    Apportionment of benefits
    (a) All or any part of the compensation, pension, or emergency officers' retirement pay payable on account of any veteran may—
    (1) if the veteran is being furnished hospital treatment, institutional, or domiciliary care by the United States, or any political subdivision thereof, be apportioned on behalf of the veteran's spouse, children, or dependent parents; and
    (2) if the veteran is not living with the veteran's spouse, or if the veteran's children are not in the custody of the veteran, be apportioned as may be prescribed by the Secretary.
    US CODE: Title 38,5307. Apportionment of benefits

It must be noted that the VA's approval of a request for apportionment is discretionary and absolutely NOT guaranteed.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2008, 04:27 PM
    That means YES!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mona66
    Hello,
    Can Veteran Disability income be garnished for child support?
    I have a court order for child support but the father refuses to pay?
    Can I have his income garnished?
    Thanks for any help.

Yes, you can, but you would have to apply to the VA for the garnishment. It is at their discretion - some requests are approved, others are not.

You would apply at the VA's headquarters in Washington, DC. Your local VA office should have the appropriate forms and information.
    wendee008 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2010, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    That means YES!!

I work for the VA. The only time VA benefits can be garnished is if the veteran is receiving compensation from the VA in lieu of retired pay.

Apportionments of VA compensation/pension is possible IF the veteran is NOT providing support for dependents. Normally the veteran would need to be receiving an additional allowance from the VA for dependents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a veteran [ 3 Answers ]

I am never certain when in a situation where people are asked if they are veterans of military service or just if they are veterans or if they served in the US military what I should say. I have always thought of a veteran as someone who served in the regular military during wartime but on one...

Should I file for s.s. Disability when I have private long-term disability insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

I will shortly begin collecting private long-term diability insurance to the tune of 60% of my former salary. Can I still apply for social security disability? If I do, would either or both of these be decreased?

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

Veteran critc [ 1 Answers ]

Who is the veteran critic and broadway columnist who went on to produce or write more than 2 dozen films

Veteran Education [ 1 Answers ]

I am a "Korean Conflict" veteran with a ten percent disability, as well as a "Cal Vet". Does anyone know how I can find out what type of educational benefits I am entitled to? Thanks, Kavanaugh

View more questions Search