Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

Aug 7, 2008, 11:55 AM
    1994 Honda Accord brakes not working very good when using air conditioner
    I have a 94 Accord and when I run my air conditioner it seems like my brakes want to go to the floor almost when I use them. The brakes are normal when not using the AC

Any thoughts or hints on what's up?

Aug 8, 2008, 11:13 AM
    No answers :-(
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 12:14 PM
    I can't think of a connection between the A/C and your brake problem, unless, when the A/C is on, it adversely affects the vacuum going to the power brake booster. Still, I don't see why the pedal would go almost to the floor. Be sure to check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir. Also, check the fluid level in the translucent reservoir going to the anti-lock brake system (front left). You won't be able to add fluid to this sealed reservoir. My wife had a 1994 Accord EX and the ABS reservoir went dry. It was a $2,000 repair bill. Honda had problems with the ABS on '94 Accords, where high pressure lines would leak.

Keep us posted, if you identify the exact cause.
    maldonadocj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Hi. Did you ever get this problem fixed? If so, what needed to be fixed? I ask because I have a 94 honda civic with the same problem.

All of the mechanics who have looked at it are confused as to what is causing the problem because we have new rear and front brakes and had the brake lines checked out and there's no air in them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Aug 28, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Well that's a new one for me,lol... it mite just be a coinsadence that this is happening.If your fluid is full and there are no leaks it could be your back brakes need adjusting,in constant city driving you use the brakes all the time so you won't notice the pedal going to the floor because your allways pumping them in stop and go traffic,on the hwy on a long ride and not using the brakes the pedal will go to the floor if rear brakes need adjusting,hope this helps :)

Aug 28, 2008, 09:38 PM
    I have a 1987 Honda Accord too and was having problems with the brakes going to the floor, but that car doesn't have AC... I wound up having to replace the brake booster (wow they are expensive!! ) SO I really hope that's not the case with my 94 accord tooo... but yeah it only seems like they go almost to the floor when I am running my ac... strange huh?
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 09:41 PM
    Have you tried backing up and repeatedly hitting your brake pedal to adjust your rear brake shoes?

Sep 1, 2008, 09:26 AM
    :mad: Oooops bad news... the brake pedal is still going to the floor even when I am not running the AC. My friend keeps saying I have air in my line... could this be what is going on? Would that cause my brake pedal to go to the floor?
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Absolutely! Check for the leak, first, and then have the brake fluid completely changed.
    Mapleleafpete Posts: 125, Reputation: 4

Sep 1, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Check to see if your missing barke fluid in the resavior,if so you must have a leak.Brake fluid doesent evaporate.Mite be a brake line or hose? If not adjust the rear brakes, backing up and slamming on the brakes some times works but not all the time.. its takes 5 miniutes with a thin flat screw drive,unless you have the brake tool.
    jmabry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 12:05 PM
    My 1994 Honda Accord also did that. Take it to your mechanic and have him check the master cylinder for the brakes. If the car is manuel it has a master cylinder for the cluth too, but that's a different story.

Oct 29, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Ok so it definitely isn't the air conditioner affecting them... the brake pedal is still going to the floor but now when I slam on brakes the front left tire (im guessing the brakes) locks up and makes an awful smell, smoke, and sound.

I had a guy check it out today and he said he thinks it is the master cylinder... but txgreasemonkey you were saying something about the ABS reservoir? Can you tell me some more about this and how I can check if it is good or not?

Thank you so much! I really hate to replace the master cylinder and it is something else.
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2008, 05:46 PM

Have the caliper pins lubricated with silicone grease and see if that solves the lockup problem. The ABS reservoir can't be refilled easily--dealer only. My advice is to take the car to Honda or Midas and have the brakes fixed properly.

Jan 19, 2009, 12:38 PM

OK a little update to this question... my brakes finally went completley out!! It was the Master Cylinder all along! This master cylinder has been replaced now and everything is going great! Thanks again for the help
    liv_dillehay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 02:08 PM
    I have a 1994 Honda Accord and have the same problem with the brakes going all the way to the floor. At times, I'm even sitting at a stop light and the pedal goes all the way to the floor and the car actually starts moving. I have to then hurry and shift it into park to prevent me from hitting the car in front of me! Scary! I have been on a lot of forums and most people with this same car have the same problem. It seems that most problems come from the cars manufactured in the Ohio plant. Anyway, I have read that it's a line leak that causes it and that it's a $2,000 fix and I have also heard that it's a worn out master cylinder. First of all, my car isn't even worth $2,000, so I'm going with the master cylinder. I'll let you know if it fixes it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brakes 2005 Honda Accord brakes? [ 3 Answers ]

How hard are the brakes pads on a 2005 honda Accord to change?

Brakes on a 87 Honda Accord [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1987 Honda Accord, I am single mother so I am LOST with a capital L on how to fix this. For a couple of days my brakes were real hard to press, then today as I was pulling into work I heard something strange and as I pressed the brakes I just kept rolling... ugh! So now when I press the...

1994 Honda Accord [ 1 Answers ]

My Honda Accord misfire when I accelarate. It idles good but when a load is put on the engine it misfire. Check engine light is Not on. I have change plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor & PCV valve.

92 Honda Accord Brakes [ 3 Answers ]

I Have A 1992 Honda Accord And This Morning When I Was Driving To Work The Brake Pedal Was Really Sluggish And I Had To Push It All The Way To The Floor To Stop. When I Got To Work I Noticed That The Driver Side Brake Resovior Was Dry But Not The Passenger Side What Could My Problem Be? Please Help...

View more questions Search