Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tosh09 Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 08:48 AM
    20 days late and negative tests?
    :confused: hey guys.. well I have posted stuff before a couple months ago about implantation. Turned out to have my period a week later.
    But now its something different.
    I haven't had my period since June 14. It is now August 7. I am about 3 weeks late. I have taken 2 pregnancy tests but they both came back negative. Though I did only go get the dollar store ones. I don't know if that makes a difference.
    I'm so confused. Sometimes I get a pain in my right lower side. And a few mild cramps in the lower part of my stomach. Every now and again I feel a little nauseas. But I don't want it to be all in my head. I really want this.
    Do you think I could be pregnant? Or do you think it could be something worse? Or maybe I just skipped a period.. is that even normal?
    I really don't know what to think.. please help:(
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 7, 2008, 01:01 PM
    First, I suggest buying a digital home pregnancy test. The dollar store variety work, but when I used one the line was nearly impossible to see. Once I used another brand the line was very dark.

Second, no matter what the HPT result, call your OB/GYN. Your period being late could be for several reasons but now that you're 3 w behind, you should get a professional opinion.

GL

Aug 8, 2008, 10:26 AM
    All right. I will make the appt. but do you think it is most likely that I am pregnant. Or do you think it is something else. Me and my boyfriend do have unprotected sex. But he never goes inside of me. (pulling out).. sorry TMI. But like yesterday my lower back hurt a lot while I was shopping all day. But it doesn't hurt today. My boobs hurt underneath. But they aren't sore. When they hurt its like a heart burn more like feeling. And I still am sometimes getting those cramps in my lower stomach. Like where period cramps would be. But these I don't think are period cramps. Especially if I am exactly three weeks late today. And I really don't think its stress. Because I am not stress over anything. Its just so weird. And by the way I am 18 years old. So I'm pretty new to all this. I don't know what to think. I'm kind of hoping that I am pregnant. But I don't want to get my hopes up.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 12:37 PM
    It's certainly possible that you are pregnant. I agree with LearningAsIGo... try another brand and see what results you get. Yes, you can just skip a period, or it can be late, for no apparent reason, but obviously you would want to know for sure about possibly being pregnant.
    Would be wise to take care of yourself as though you might be pregnant... watch what you eat, drink, put into your body, etc.. Since you are having unprotected sex, would be smart to be on a multivitamin with at least 400mcg of folic acid in it. The withdrawl method may work for awhile, but it is not the most reliable, and... as with any form of birth control, there will always be a chance of pregnancy.

Aug 10, 2008, 01:01 PM
    All right. I've been a little busy lately so I haven't had time to get a new test. Its been over 3 weeks now still no period. If I don't have my period by the end of the month I was going to make an appt. I'm kind of scared to take another test and get another negative. Its so weird that this is happening. I never thought id be late on my period THIS late. I hope I'm pregnant. Also I don't know if this is anything or not. But lately I've been getting some white discharge. Sometimes I can feel it come out and other times its when I pee. And sometimes it's a lot and sometimes its not.. . could this be just some kind of infection or anything?
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Having increased discharge in early pregnancy is quite normal. If no discoloration, foul odor, or itching it is likely not an infection. Hopefully it is a positive sign for you! Good luck when you test or when you see your doctor... :)

Aug 10, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Thank you! I'm less nervous every day. Friday I will be 4 weeks late. Which is a long time to be late from your period. Then that following Monday I'm making an appt. I've decided. Because I figured if I'm that late. I'm either pregnant. Or I have a serious infection. Right?
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 02:49 PM
    I'd say it is more likely you are either pregnant or you are just skipping a period. Usually you would notice something more from discharge if it were due to an infection. See how it goes and whether you notice any change to it over the next few days.

Aug 11, 2008, 02:31 PM
    All right. Still going on 4 weeks late.. normal? Or pregnant? That is what I ask myself every so often. Probably have a doctors appt. next week sometime. But I just wanted to keep things up to date.
    For like the past few days I've been having bad headaches.
    Past week its been off and on hurting under my boobs still.. that heartburn feeling.
    Sometimes my back hurts like where my kidneys are kind of..
    Bloated.
    .. I hope this isn't all just in my head.. I'm not stressed over it or anything.. I've NOT been stressed over it at all.. so I know I didn't miss my period over that.
    Also been kind of upset over so many things.
    Not crying but just feeling like I could...
    But like I said this coming weekend I will be 4 weeks late. Is that long enough to say that I am most likely pregnant?
    Or is it possible that I could skip 2 periods?
    Also that white discharge only lasted that one day. I haven had it like that since.
    OH AND I am no longer cramping in my lower stomach like I was a week or two ago.
    brennlee Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2008, 08:23 PM
    When I had my 4th pregnancy... I knew I was pregnant but took several home tests... which came up negative. I finally went to a nurse practitioner and by blood test confirmed a positive... a week later the home pregnancy test showed positive too... they asked me to wait 7 days after the blood test. Every other time I was pregnant I knew... or I threw up so much someone else knew LOL... but that last time was weird.

Hope this helps :)

Aug 11, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Oh, after 4 weeks please make a Doctor appt. Everyone is different, and being a mom 4 times has shown me all pregnancies are different, however there are other symptoms and things that can happen to a woman besides pregnancy that can mimic it as well. Stress is definitely one of those things, and can really do all of what you are feeling and more.

See a Doctor <3 and please don't be scared... knowledge is power :) let me know what happens I completely understand what you are going through, if not anything else... symptoms alone.

Aug 11, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Kind of!:)
    How late were you till it showed up positive?

Aug 11, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Thank you I will make an appt. next week for sure!
    I will keep you informed!
    Tralyn Posts: 230, Reputation: 17

Aug 11, 2008, 08:30 PM
    When I was pregnant the last two times I took home test after home test after home test and never once were they positive. When I went to the doc - positive blood test. My hormone levels were too low so they didn't register on a home test - I miscarried.

This isn't to scare you but you should get in right away - sometimes they are able to help you if that is the case. Better to be safe. Make the appt.

Aug 11, 2008, 08:41 PM
    In my case I was on the pill, and I am estimating (because I did not keep track at the time about 4 to 5 weeks.)
    I believe it was 6 weeks when I showed a weak positive at a free clinic... hhehe the little 80 plus year old lady said to me... terrific! You are pregnant, now you can go home and celebrate! All I could think of was how am I going to tell my husband, after being on the pill that I am??

I knew the symptoms... yet no test confirmed, was thinking I was crazy but then finally it showed, and a few months later a very early healthy baby was born, and boy was she angry!

My point is I was pregnant 3 times before and always had that little plus sign to show on that test, and this time it was waaaaaaay off... If it were my first pregnancy I really don't know when I would have noticed hehe... good luck and I will be waiting to see what happens! No matter what!
    :)

Aug 11, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralyn
    When I was pregnant the last two times I took home test after home test after home test and never once were they positive. When I went to the doc - positive blood test. My hormone levels were too low so they didn't register on a home test - I miscarried.

This isn't to scare you but you should get in right away - sometimes they are able to help you if that is the case. Better to be safe. Make the appt.

Absolutely, I think hormones have a big role in this. I think that most tests pick up that hormone that only happens when you are pregnant but there are also circumstances it can read positive when it is not, so there must be something about it not picking it up on tests when it is there.

Aug 11, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Nice story!:)
    I love talking to people on here!
    Everyone is so sweet!
    And plus I'm so glad no one is all Grrrrrrr towards people because its just helps even if they can't help but to listen and let people vent!
    Thank you everyone!
    I just hope this 4th week. I can say IM PREGNANT! After my doctors visit!
    Because 4 weeks I believe is a LOOOOOOOONg time
    And if I'm not pregnant then I have a feeling that is could be something worse. But my first thing I think is Pregnant lol
    My boobs seem bigger. But they are not tender.
    Normal?
    My mom even said they look like they've grown lol

Aug 11, 2008, 09:00 PM
    You would notice that your aereolas are getting larger and your breasts would start feeling sore, that takes a little bit of time though. Sometimes our bodies get convinced they are pregnant when they aren't too (there is a name for this and I can't remember what it is). Best of luck, hope it all turns out OK. I would make that appt. though so you don't need to wonder anymore.

Aug 11, 2008, 09:04 PM
    I will
    And by the way I love you little quote thing:)

Aug 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
    Why thank you very much - one of my own! : ) I appreciate that.

Best of luck to you I hope it all turns out great no matter what!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

18 days late with period.Negative Pregnancy tests! [ 6 Answers ]

I was suppose to start my period on December 16th. I have never had irregular periods or even started late. My cycle is exactly 30 days. I did have unprotected sex several times during the end of November and all throughout December. I haven't had to many common pregnancy symptoms. Although I have...

So I am 13 days late and three negative tests later [ 2 Answers ]

Okay so my husband and I are trying to have a baby. I am 13 days late. I am not normally late. I am always on time but its usually really long. I have taken 3 test all came back negative. I feel pregnant and have had some symptoms. I am not sure what is going on. I have a dr's appt on the 31st. I...

10 days late, Tests Still negative.What? [ 1 Answers ]

im 19 yrs old..i took my nuva ring out on jan 7th 2008 and got a small period on janurary 10th. i am 10 days late of getting my period on the 10th of feburary i had some spotting for 1 day but no period...but alllllll the many tests ive taken say negative, im not stressed what so ever, andi have no...

Period 15 days late but negative tests [ 2 Answers ]

My period is now 15 days late & I've taken 5 pregnancy tests, all are negative but I have symptoms of pregnancy, for eg: exhaustion, nausea, lightheadedness, backache, cramps. Could I be pregnant? In 15 years, I have never missed a period or been more than 2 days late

View more questions Search