Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    countywide Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Clueless on Commercial Cleaning Pricing
    I'm starting a small commercial cleaning company. I've been offered a job that supply wise and skill wise, I'm ready for, however, I am clueless as to how to price. I know that square footage should be factored in, supplies, labor building density and time it takes to clean. But how to I put it all together? Please forgive my extreme ignorance and accept my heartfelt thanks in advance for any help!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Hello c:

Well, you're in big trouble. Cleaning is one thing. Pricing your work is another. I don't know your business. Evidently, you don't either...

Ok, I'll give it a shot. I don't think square footage IS a factor. I think the TIME involved is. Figure how much time is necessary to do the job, and add 10% for materials. You DO know how much you want to earn per hour, no?

excon
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2008, 03:13 AM
    Where is the location where this kind of service is to be provided? It would be helpful for us to know that so that we can help you the best here!

Depending on the going rates for this kind of service where it is to be performed, my suggestion would be to set a monetary figure as to what you want to make per hour and base an estimate on how many hours it's going to take you to do the job. If you or they are going to be providing the tools and supplies, then that would also figure into the estimate. But, the bottom line for me would be what I would want to come up with an estimate as to what I wanted to make per hour without having to provide the tools and supplies. If you provide the tools to do the job, then you would charge just a little more. If you provide the supplies, such as cleaning liquids, paper of any kind, then I would charge a lot more.

Other things that you have to consider in what you will be charging, are what you are paying for at least liability insurance for just the business and insurance for your business vehicle as well as the usual maintenance on it. If this job might require you to travel a considerable distance in order to get to it, then I would also suggest adding some for mileage for what you charge the customer.

But, please let us know where this will be taking place, as someone who knows the specific going rates in the area just might come along and help in answering your question.

Thanks!

Aug 8, 2008, 04:09 PM
    The job is office space in Morgan Hill, CA. I also have a job coming up to clean an apartment. When cleaning a vacated apartment, do you charge extra for carpet shampooing?
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 02:19 AM
    In California, I would think that the rate per hour would be at least from $25.00 to $30.00 dollars per hour for general cleaning where you wouldn't be the one that would be paying for the cleaning supplies. But, to be sure of the amount per hour for general cleaning, you could ask people at places that sell equipment and supplies that are exclusively for people doing janitorial jobs.

Yes, you would charge extra for carpet shampooing. If it's not just sweeping, vacuuming and mopping but shampooing, stripping, applying a finish and buffing, then yes, you charge extra.

Aug 11, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Clough, Thank you very much for your help. I will keep this in mind. Again, thank you very, very much!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Hello again, c:

Before I would invest MY time and money into this project, I would try to learn as much as possible about the business. Cause, even people who KNOW their business fail. Certainly, people who AREN'T familiar with a business shouldn't invest in one.

Therefore, I think you should get a job with a cleaning service first. Then ask a lot of questions... Then go out on your own when you know the stuff you are asking about backwards and forwards...

excon
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 02:12 AM
    You know, you do make an excellent point about asking about the experience of the people who are asking these sorts of questions, excon! As such, I will make it a point in the advice that I give in the future to ask about that.

Thanks!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2008, 05:29 AM
    If you do get a job with a cleaning company make sure that they do not have a clause that you can not go from their employment and start up the same type of business( I once worked for a place that required signing this type of clause).
    HBF Posts: 86, Reputation: 4

Aug 20, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Actually, most cleaning business owners are in the same boat. They know how to clean, but not how to manage their business. This is very important to the success of your business. But, in the beginning, it will just be trial and error. You will soon learn if you bid too low or too high and will learn for the next bid. Pretty soon you will have it perfected.

No matter how long you have been in business, there is always more to learn about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commercial Cleaning [ 2 Answers ]

Trying to price a commercial cleaning . How do I price ?

Commercial cleaning [ 4 Answers ]

Once I get them on the phone what should I say?

View more questions Search