Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Aug 7, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Still getting seepage in basement, why?
    I live in Iowa. We have had much much rain this season. In July, when everyone else was battling water in their basements, we had our share of seepage, in places where it was during the flood of 93. But as well, we started getting some seepage in another area we never had water there before. Well, long story short, we had 1-2" rains and get a fine film of water on the floor in that new area of seepage. It is the north side of the basement, and we are on the upside of a hill. There is a window well on the this wall. The water only beads; there isn't even enough to mop up, but still the floor is wet. This has made it impossible to recarpet the floor. Any ideas as to why this is happening and what are possible fixes? Could it be the water table is still so high that the water just rises into the floor? I don't see any cracks, and the walls are dry. It's just the floor. A small area, away from the walls. Thanks for any replies. Helen
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 7, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Sounds like you had plenty of rain and the soil is just too saturated to perc away the water. Water can enter your basement from many sources. The walls, small cracks in the floor etc. What kind of expense are you prepared to go to address this problem? A french drain around the foundation? A sump pump? Or would you rather just wait for the dry season? Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Clogged Shower Leaked Through Basement Fixture, now NONE of the basement lights work [ 10 Answers ]

We have two bathrooms, one on the ground level and one in the basement. I was downstairs while my wife was taking a shower and I noticed water leaking from the fixture above the sink. Naturally, I was horrified. So I called a plumber, and the shower was clogged, causing the leak. He cleared it,...

Basement drain keeps leaking water into our basement [ 3 Answers ]

We have lived in our house for over a year and have no problems with plumbing until this week. One of our basement drains keeps over flowing. Nothing is running. Like a dishwasher,washer, etc.) I noticed it during a heavy rain day but it has not rained in two days but more water keeps pouring out...

Water coming out of basement shower and flooding basement [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a home about 2 months ago, and immediately there were flooding issues in the basement. At first I wasn't sure why the carpet in the middle of the basement was getting soaked. Now I see that the water is coming from the shower drain in the basement bathroom. This happened after the...

Washer drain causing water & seepage from ground [ 2 Answers ]

For some time we've thought we had a leak in our washing machine. No one could figure out what was causing it. Finally it seems that the draining of the machine leads to water and what looks like dirt coming up from the ground somewhere. There is linoleum on the floor and the water is coming up...

Wet bar in basement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to put in a wet bar (sink) in my basement, but I don't know where to drain the sink. As I explained in a previous post. "I want to put a sink in my basement, but I dont know where to drain it. Basicaly I have three pipes in my cement floor and I don't know what they are for....

View more questions Search