Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adavis2008 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 07:22 AM
    I have a bad smell coming from my Jaccuzi bathtub. What could this be from?
    I just purchased a home with a juccuzi tub. It has a bad smell coming from it. I filled the tub with water and put a clorine tab in it and put the jets on for 1/2 hour. It smells a little better, but I still smell an odor. Is there a filter that needs to be cleaned or changed? If so, Where do I find this filter in the tub? How do you clean a juccuzi? I have well water, does this have anything to do with the odor?
    Thank you for any suggestions that could help me with this problem.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2008, 07:37 AM
    With well water as your source, I believe you may have some bacteria growth in the pipes and jets of the tub.

The longer it has been unused, the more you would notice the odor.

I would try that clorine tab again, maybe even Google for "cleaning hot tubs" or something similar or call a hot tub retailer in your area and see what they suggest.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Chorine is used in pools more than hot tubs, try bromine tablets. You may need to shock the tub an start from scratch with w new fill once you have killed the bacteria in the pipes and pump.
    Dr_Spa Posts: 101, Reputation: 13

Aug 7, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Is this a jetted bathtub?? Fill it, dump in a half gallon of unscented bleach, rub the pump for 15 minutes, drain and rinse.
    adavis2008 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2008, 06:10 AM
    I do have a jetted bathtub. I tried the bleach, the ordor is less, but is still there. Maybe I will try the bleach again. The ordor was so bad, I thought at first some animal died in the wall. I'm very relieved to know it is from the Jetted tub. Thank you
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Aug 9, 2008, 05:20 AM
    If the chlorine tab for 1/2 hour didn't help, I doubt the liquid chlorine (unscented bleach) will either. Dry chlorine is much a stronger concentrate than liquid. Be careful with that chlorine! BallengerB1 is right, Bromine would be less hazardous in your home. Bromine is in the spa section of a pool supply, or big box stores.

Put a shock treatment of bromine in the tub and run it several times. Although the experts tell us that 20 minutes is enough to kill any bacteria, running it a few times won't hurt anything.

I was thinking that you actually may have something dead underneath of it. If you try the bromine, and are unsuccessful, you may need to look underneath or in the wall.

To get rid of the odor in your home, I would recommend ozone shock treatment. It is very effective! But, if the source is still there, the odor will come back.

Good Luck,
    Al

Aug 9, 2008, 06:33 AM
    For bromine to do ANYTHING, you first have to have a MINIMUM concentration of bromide ions of 15 ppm. Then you have to add an oxidizer to turn the bromide ions into hypobromous acid (most bromine tablets contain both bromie, and chlorine to oxidize it). It's unlikely one bromine tablet will do this.

Aug 9, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Good point. You have to shock treat. As far as that goes, the chlorine may not have been high enough concentration either, which is why it wasn't effective.

One would think that 1 tab, which probably has as much effective strength as one gallon of pool chlorine would have been sufficient in a jacuzzi tub. But, maybe not. The only real way to know is with a test kit.

Aug 9, 2008, 09:43 AM
    If the tab of trichlor (PURE trichlor) weighs 4 oz (1/4 pound) it has 3.6oz Available Sanitizer

1/2 gallon of bleach has 4 oz of Available Sanitizer

I don't think a 1" tab weight anywhere near 4 oz.

Aug 10, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Hey Dr. Spa,
    You are correct. A 1" tab probably doesn't weigh 4 oz. I was actually thinking of 3" tabs (hockey pucks), which is what I prefer when I use tabs. I also use tri-chlor sticks, which I like much better in feeders since they don't clog as much.

But, the point was made by both of us that she needs a shock residual. Regardless of which disinfectant she uses. Remember also that she is on well water, so we have no idea what the chlorine demand of that water is. So, it is best to measure with a tester.

She would probably be better off with granular, or liquid for fast dissolve.
    Regards,
    Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell coming from bathtub drain, especially after usage [ 17 Answers ]

For several months now we have been observing a musty smell in our upstairs bathroom. This smells comes and goes and at times it is much stronger. It seems that after someone takes a shower it gets worse afterwards. The tub is not clogged and there do not appear to be any leaks visible on the...

Water coming up into the bathtub [ 7 Answers ]

I was using the waste disposal in the kitchen and when I went to the bathroom a few minutes later I had water coming up the drain. The tub is now completely clogged. I have used drain and liquid plumber, but nothing is working. I also noticed that if I use the sink in the bathroom, it is very...

What to do about a sewer smell coming from my jetted bathtub? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have a horrible problem. I have a jetted bathtub. I haven't used the jets on a regular basis. Now there is a terrible sewer smell coming from my bathtub. We tried Draino, and I tried running the jets with dishwashing powder and then running it again with hot water. Nothing works. Does...

BAD SMELL I have a very bad smell coming from my toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I live on a slab, older house & have a horrible smell coming from one of my bathrooms, also there are nats flying out of my shower drain. Do you have any idea on what this could be... I really don't have the money for a plumber... please let me know any suggestions... Thank You :confused: ...

View more questions Search