Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 12:49 PM
    There was no New Testament for the first 300 years of Christianity. What did the early Christians rely on?
    The early church used the Old Testament books plus the apostolic oral tradition (apostles' accounts of spending time with Jesus and what he said and did). Of course, the churches that received epistles (letters) from the various apostles used those in the teaching of and preaching to their members.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Aug 15, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Matt 1:24-25
    24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
    25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
    (KJV)

Note the word "till" clearly implying that he did "know" her AFTER Jesus was born.
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Why is the Ever Virgin Mary a threat to Protestantism?
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
    25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
    (KJV)

Note the word "till" clearly implying that he did "know" her AFTER Jesus was born.

“Tilll” is a Scriptural figure of speech. This has been taught from the beginning by the Magisterium of the Church. The following is a theological tact. Halvidius made the same argument that sisters and brethren were “proof” that the Virgin Mary had children. The argument surrounding the “till” was settled by St. Jerome.

St. Jerome, Against Helvidius (circa) 383 A.D.

…so with regard to the word till he is utterly refuted by the authority of the same Scripture, which often denotes by its use a fixed time (he himself told us so), frequently time without limitation, as when God by the mouth of the prophet says to certain persons, Isaiah 46:4 Even to old age I am he. Will He cease to be God when they have grown old? And the Saviour in the Gospel tells the Apostles, Matthew 28:20 Lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Will the Lord then after the end of the world has come forsake His disciples, and at the very time when seated on twelve thrones they are to judge the twelve tribes of Israel will they be bereft of the company of their Lord? Again Paul the Apostle writing to the Corinthians says, Christ the first-fruits, afterward they that are Christ's, at his coming. Then comes the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father, when he shall have put down all rule, and all authority and power. For he must reign, till he has put all enemies under his feet. Granted that the passage relates to our Lord's human nature, we do not deny that the words are spoken of Him who endured the cross and is commanded to sit afterwards on the right hand. What does he mean then by saying, for he must reign, till he has put all enemies under his feet? Is the Lord to reign only until His enemies begin to be under His feet, and once they are under His feet will He cease to reign? Of course His reign will then commence in its fulness when His enemies begin to be under His feet. David also in the fourth Song of Ascents speaks thus, Behold, as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their master, as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress, so our eyes look unto the Lord our God, until he have mercy upon us. Will the prophet, then, look unto the Lord until he obtain mercy, and when mercy is obtained will he turn his eyes down to the ground?

JoeT
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777
    “Tilll” is a Scriptural figure of speech.
    You might have a weak argument if it was not for the fact that scripture tells us specifically that Mary had additional children. We cannot ignore the context of the whole of scripture.

This has been taught from the beginning by the Magisterium of the Church. The following is a theological tact.
    I do not care what the private interpretation of your denomination is. I prefer to go by what the word of God says rather than the private interpretation of men.
    Criado Posts: 142, Reputation: 15

Aug 16, 2008, 12:50 PM
    Originally Posted by JoeT777
    which often denotes by its use a fixed time (he himself told us so), frequently time without limitation
    How can you be sure that Matt 1:24-25 denotes no limitation? And not what till means in Matt 2:9; Matt 10:23; Matt 13:33; Mark 9:9

Jerome's argument is not flawless after all.

==================
    Originally Posted by Peter Wilson
    55"Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary, and aren't his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas?
    56Aren't all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?"
    I think Mark 6:3 holds a stronger support that Mary have children--Jesus had sisters in flesh (who were unbelievers).
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    The early church used the Old Testament books plus the apostolic oral tradition (apostles' accounts of spending time with Jesus and what he said and did). Of course, the churches that received epistles (letters) from the various apostles used those in the teaching of and preaching to their members.
    Just to add what to what you have said, the Apostles subsequently wrote their teachings down and we have them today in the New Testament, not as a separate additional teaching, and their teachings are in complete harmony with the Old Testament.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    (KJV)

It puzzles me to no end how somebody can say this is figurative.

In the O.T. knowing your wife means sexual relationship and the fact that he knew marry BEFORE Jesus' birth WHAT was there not to know about her in any other way?
    So if it is figuratively WHAT then did he KNOW about her after Jesus was born that he didn't know before he was born?

“Tilll” is a Scriptural figure of speech. This has been taught from the beginning by the Magisterium of the Church. The following is a theological tact. Halvidius made the same argument that sisters and brethren were “proof” that the Virgin Mary had children. The argument surrounding the “till” was settled by St. Jerome.

JoeT
    Joseph having more kids seems more a threat to Catholic's than Mary being a virgin is to Protestants because it is not a threat either way... at least to us... why is that?
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    It puzzles me to no end how somebody can say this is figurative.

In the O.T. knowing your wife means sexual relationship and the fact that he knew marry BEFORE Jesus' birth WHAT was there not to know about her in any other way?
    So if it is figuratively WHAT then did he KNOW about her after Jesus was born that he didn't know before he was born?

Joseph having more kids seems more a threat to Catholic's than Mary being a virgin is to Protestants because it is not a threat either way...at least to us....why is that?
    The objection was in the word "till." St. Jerome shows that the objection is spurious.

If its not a threat then why the anxiety in proving it to be false?

JoeT
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 02:45 PM
    Some people just like to wonder about things that doesn't make it a threat.

I wonder about how many stars, galaxies, planets are actually out in space and how vast the universe is does that make it a threat?

Usually people who want to project something onto somebody it is often the way they themselves actually see it... would it be a threat to your religion if she actually did give birth to other children? Would it make her a sinner in your eyes or what? Why is it so important to you that she be denied or deny Joseph a relationship AFTER Jesus was born?
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 02:50 PM
    The objection was in the word "till." St. Jerome shows that the objection is spurious.
    Private interpretation, and this does not take into account the fact that scripture is quite specific in the fact that Mary had other children.
    If its not a threat then why the anxiety in proving it to be false?
    Love of the truth and integrity found in God's word would be my interest. Once you start tearing apart the truth found in God's word to support your denominations variant doctrinal teachings, then it is the start of a slippery slope which opens the way to altering other parts of God's word.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Criado
    How can you be sure that Matt 1:24-25 denotes no limitation? And not what till means in Matt 2:9; Matt 10:23; Matt 13:33; Mark 9:9

Jerome's argument is not flawless after all.

==================

I think Mark 6:3 holds a stronger support that Mary have children--Jesus had sisters in flesh (who were unbelievers).

Well, no I couldn't agree to a statement like that. I only pasted a small part of St. Jerome's tract, maybe it would be wise to read the remainder. Brother refers to clansman -link.

Mark 6: 3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joseph, and Jude, and Simon? are not also his sisters here with us? And they were scandalized in regard of him.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Well, no I couldn't agree to a statement like that. I only pasted a small part of St. Jerome’s tract, maybe it would be wise to read the remainder. Brother refers to clansman -link.

Mark 6: 3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joseph, and Jude, and Simon? are not also his sisters here with us? And they were scandalized in regard of him.

JoeT
    Why do you make one man's opinion the authority over doctrine?
    Uber Member

So if it is figuratively WHAT then did he {Joseph} KNOW about her {Mary} after Jesus was born that he didn't know before he was born?
    So any Catholics can you answer me?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

If the Catholic Church has lied about (misrepresented?) that, what else has been misrepresented?
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 03:09 PM
    So any Catholics can you answer me?
    Think about, relationships such as marriage don't rely on physical contact. Rather, such relationships rely on love. Ask yourself why must there have been a physical relationship between Mary and Joseph for your faith to work?

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    If the Catholic Church has lied about (misrepresented?) that, what else has been misrepresented?
    That's a big claim Wondergirl. Do you wish to show us how this could be?

JoeT
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 03:14 PM
    That's a big claim Wondergirl. Do you wish to show us how this could be?

JoeT
    I am sure she could but I am even more sure Catholics would still not see it.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Think about, relationships such as marriage don't rely on physical contact. Rather, such relationships rely on love. Ask yourself why must there have been a physical relationship between Mary and Joseph for your faith to work?

JoeT
    Open your eyes the Bible says NOTHING about sex between a husband and a wife being wrong so WHY IS IT such a threat to you that she may have actually been ONE with HER husband as God honors Biblically?

In fact the Bible says do not listen to *religions* that forbid and preach abstinance
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2008, 03:18 PM
    I am sure she could but I am even more sure Catholics would still not see it.
    Not only would I not believe it; I'd suggest that it wouldn't be true either.

JoeT
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Just proves Catholics will only believe what they are taught no matter what proof is given otherwise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone Know of a artist called "LINK" from 1998 or 1999? [ 5 Answers ]

In 1999 or 2000, I had a single caseete by a singing artist named "Link". I really liked this song a lot. However, I cannot find anything about this artist on the web and I cannot remember the name of his song. Could somebody please help me find anything out about him or his single?:confused:...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

Who sings the song called "Home"? It is always on 5FM and East Coast Radio? [ 2 Answers ]

Who sings the song called "Home"? It is always on 5FM and East Coast Radio?

What is the formula for finding the ratio called "RETURN ON TOTAL RESOURCES" [ 3 Answers ]

this is my question.. reply to my email if possible the formula for RETURN ON TOTAL RESOURCES.. WHAT I NO IS THAT IT IS SOMETHING DIVIDED BY TOTAL ASSETS X 100.. IF I AM NOT RIGHT CAN SOME HELP ME PLEASE VERY SOON The following are the summarized profit and loss account of V Ltd for the year...

80's kids show w/ group called "The Rockets" [ 3 Answers ]

Hello there, I have been searcing the web for days for info about a kids show that was on during the 80's: All I can remember is that there was a group of kids ranging in ages who were all members of a singing group called "The Rockets"-There was a young sister and older brother and a boy named...

View more questions Search