Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rajhpd1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Using *12/4 armor cable in residential wiring ?
    Q.
    I am heavily involved in electrical construction for residential/commercial building.

Using 120/208V single phase 3-wire system to the apartment/condo with #6/3 armor cable, and apartment CB Panel is 1-phase, 3- wire 8/16 GE.

Is it possible to use a 12/4 armor cable in branch wiring ?
    Is there be a violation of NEC ?
    Is color coding cable in armor wiring is acceptable by NEC?
    If there will be a color coding, making 2 neutral cable in one armor jacket is possible?

NOTE : As of my experties, and experience, the questioned armor cable is a violation of NEC and technically it's not permitted because of 2 neutral parallel in one jacket.

Appreciated for quick answer!!

Raj
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2008, 09:37 AM
    You need to check with the local AHJ on this.

12-4 cable can be used for two circuits, each circuit having it's own neutral.

As you know, the neutrals must be clearly identifed, the entire length of the cable.

If the cable you have does not have two white, or gray, conductors, as per NEC 200.6, then this is a problem, unless the AHJ allows it.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rajhpd1
    NOTE : As of my experties, and experience, the questioned armor cable is a violation of NEC and technically it's not permitted because of 2 neutral parallel in one jacket.
    Care to tell us where you found this violation in the NEC?
    benaround Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

Aug 8, 2008, 03:17 PM
    rajhpd1,

I'm sure you are referring to mc cable, which is made in a 12/2/2 wgrd just for that use.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 8, 2008, 04:37 PM
    NM cable also comes in 12/2/2 and 14/2/2.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 04:33 AM
    You can't Parallel Neutrals(or any conductors), unless it is greater than 1/0 or less than 50 Volts.
    2 neutrals can be in same conduit /cable just not for same circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Illinois residential wiring color codes [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to install a Hunter ceiling fan and light. The color of the wire in the fan are black, black-and-white, green, and white. For a single switch operation the instructions are to connect the black and black-and-white wires from the fan with the black wire from the ceiling; then the...

Residential Service Cable Type [ 11 Answers ]

Once again, a res. Question by a comm. Electrician. I have a new project relocating a meter service. The new meter will be about 25 feet from the 200A panelbox location instead of back to back. I'll wire in a 200A 2 pole breaker at the meter location as per 10 foot tap rule, and run new cable to...

Underground wiring, electrical, cable, telephon [ 2 Answers ]

We are replacing an underground electrical wire that shorted out which supplies power to our pool filter and pool house. In this same trench (18" deep and 175ft long) we would like to put a telephone and a cable line for TV and phone by the pool. Any problem putting these in the same trench?

Really like runescape armor list from dragon to the best armor [ 4 Answers ]

I would really like a runescape armor list from dragon all the way up to the best armor there is, so can someone help me?

How long can a run be on 14-2 in residential wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I'm thinking about wiring my basement, and my panel is out in my garage. Im just wondering if I would have any ill affects with runs of 130-140 feet long on 14-2? My basement will have 2 bedrooms and a family room with all the usual components, tv's, stereos, etc. I will have to run 35-40 ft. just...

View more questions Search